Bettas & Current

Oct 22, 2002
I have a 29 gallon and have a Magnum HOT filter on it.
It makes a pretty decent current the entire way around the tank
SO there is very little dead spots.

Is this ok for bettas? or will it swim/stress them to death?

I've put a few fish into the new tank and its through the cycle but the bettas keepy dying!
I have 1 baby otto and 1 female betta in there right now.

Another baby otto got sucked against the filter intake and died a short time after I freed it, and have had 2 other male and 1 female betta die :(

(in about a 2 week period!)

I'm dosing CO2 into the tank, have 110w of PC lighting on it, plants are just starting to take route, but so far just foreground plants in there....

Am going to the pet store in an hour to bring them a water sample and see what the
GH/KH
PH
nitrite and nitrate levels are
and will report back...

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
thats way to much.i have a magnum hot and my bettas would never handle that kind of current.why not try an eclipse exporer 2 gal. tank you can get some jave ferns block the flow coming from the return and have a nice betta tank without worrying about your favorite bettas being stressed.hey what happened to the plant order?i wasn't pulling your leg.if you have trouble with fish getting stuck to the intake thats bad, that means your fish are sick cause only sick or very small fish are too weak to avoid the suction of the filter.

Oct 22, 2002
well it was a baby ottos, full grown they are under an inch....this one couldn't have been longer than the nail on my pinky finger...

yeah the current thing kinda sucks...I guess I'll just use some different fish....I'm not into bettas that much just need some easy fish to live with the plants:)

I'm still up for the plant order but I didn't know you or anyone else was interested so I kinda put it on hold till I can organize and figure out what plants I really want and where to order from.

Feel free to pm me and we can discuss it some more.
Geoff