Betta with Live-bearers

beermanic

Medium Fish
Feb 5, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
I did also for about 1 1/2 weeks and then one day I found both of them torn up and battered. They both died before the next day.

RIP - at least the male guppy had a chance to pass his genes on to 6 you guppies.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
some times yes some times no.it just depends on the betta.like most creatures bettas have diffrent personalitys.some bettas will never touch another fish.some go into kill mode regardless of the offending fish and it's size.anything with a long finned tail will probably become a target.also sometimes they will live in perfect harmony then ond day it's like a whole new fish terrorizing anything in sight.those are just my experiences though.

Mar 11, 2003
Yes, its true, it does depend on the betta. But sometimes its the bettas getting their fins nipped! So you have to really research what fish you are going to put them with and get people to share their expiriences.

JinXgirl

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Scotland
My first betta terrorised everything in the tank from my poor little cats hiding in the bottom to my swordtails and black mollies.Lucily my store was hapy to take him back, i now have tried another one and he's the softest quietest laziest fish in the tank. he even gets bullied of my guppies some days. the only thing he seems to want to fight with is his reflection in the glass!
My LFS agreed that they are all very individual, roughtly 2 out of 10 will bully, 1 will hide and the rest are a mixture... pretty good odds! *celebrate anyway he's in there with mollies, harlequins loaches cats and guppies and he's happy... I'm happy too as no more babies! ( it was getting hard finding homes for them all!)