Betta Tankmates

Dec 1, 2013
Hello again!

Honestly, after having a 10g for almost a year, I wonder why I never had one before! I feel like there's so much more I can do with it. Or maybe that's the gentler fish I am housing in it that let me do so.

Anyways, in my aquarium I was housing seven gold cloud minnows and an accidental bristlenose pleco. He was only in there for a short time until I gave him away. My cloud minnows actually began disappearing and I finally found out why. My cat was going fishing in the tank. So now I have a small group of three cloud minnows.

I took this opportunity to get new fish. I've been interested in having a sorority of female bettas. My tank is heavily planted and I thought there would be plenty of hiding places.

So now I have four female bettas, a fifth should be on the way soon, and three cloud minnows. I've been monitoring the situation and find that the minnows help disperse the attention of the bettas. However, I want what's best for both fish. My question is, should I repurchase the minnows so I'll have a schooling group of 7, or just get rid of the minnows in general.

I checked with AqAdvisor and it had the standard info on betta, so I'm asking if anyone has experience with housing these two together.

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape
my preference would be keeping the bettas in their own tank. but if you do want to keep them together, i would go with 7 to help disperse the attention. :)
Yeah no, 7 female bettas in a 10 gallon is too much. I would only do the 4 bettas and then bump the white cloud school up to 7 or so so you can have a proper school. The white clouds should help with dispersing aggression with the bettas so you should be good there. You might be able to fit a otocinclus cat in but your tank will be pretty stocked after you adjust the whitecloud school.