Betta Spawning...

Lisa

New Fish
Apr 8, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Hey guys, i'm new to this page and have only been interested in aquariums for the past year. Don't rip on me if I ask stupid questions, although the one about how to tell a female betta from a male was pretty funny.

Here's my question.

I've had a healthy male betta hangin out in a five gallon aquarium on my dresser. I have several adorable little females in bowls on a nightstand. I want to hook these guys up and makes some babies but i'm very inexperienced in betta spawning. I've read a lot of internet sources on what to expect and how to set up the tanks. It seems to me that the local places i've been buying female bettas from have been selling them at a very young age. They seem so small. Can you get them at the store so young they aren't ready for spawning? The first female I tried to spawn died in my tank, I think she got stuck underneath a rock more than I think she got beat up. Now i'm using the other girl in the hopes that they will spawn. She isn't darting away from him until he goes up to her. She's starting to get beaten up a little and i'm wondering if this is a good idea. Anyone have any tips on spawning? Yea.. that was really boring. Sorry. I'm a rambler....

peace out
-Lisa

Mar 11, 2003
First of all, list everything you are doing when you attempt to spawn them, such as how you introduce them, ect. Tell me your tank set up, what you have conditioned the bettas with, and what you plan to feed the fry when you get them. I would love to help right now, but need more information.

Alexa

P.S. Female bettas are old enough to spawn when you can see their ovipositor.