Betta lover's spawning journal

Oct 15, 2010
December 2nd...fish spawn, and dad is tending to the nest.
December 4th...all eggs have hatches...lil fishies with sunglasses hangin around.
December 12th... fed infusoria for the last 3-4 days. Took dad out today...he started snacking...I am sure! A little late...I know.
December 13th...started feeding baby brine...Fry have little orange bellies :)
December 17th...Started doing water changes every 2nd day on the fry tank.
December 20th...noticable drop in # of fry...:( Not because of cleaning...I suspect the tiny ones got sucked into the filter.
December 30th...tried spawning same female with blue butterfly...didn't work out.
January 10th...Little growth showing...feeding bbs still.
January 15th...Start feeding crushed flake for the mini giants :p
January 22th... Did a water change today...Starting to fill tank to the top. Have 2 1 inch guys...and some 1/4-1/2 inch guys...Wow! they are soooooo cute! They are starting to look like females...most of them!

Attachments

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I have no experience raising betta fry. I use an air powered sponge filter at first in a fry tank to avoid loses thru a filter. I also start the breeding tank out with only about 1/4 to 1/3 of capacity. Say five gallons in a 20 gallon tank. That allows the adding of fresh water for a time until the fry can become stronger swimmers and can handle a filter. I also like to use the bubble up hang on back filters. The flow can be adjusted by regulating the air flow. (don't know if they are still available)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I also start the breeding tank out with only about 1/4 to 1/3 of capacity. Say five gallons in a 20 gallon tank. That allows the adding of fresh water for a time until the fry can become stronger swimmers and can handle a filter.
It sounds like the OP is already doing this.
I agree with the bubble sponge filter, thats the best for a betta fry tank.

Oct 15, 2010
I have just added 10 more bettas to the family. That makes 21 bettas, and still more to come!!(FRY!!) (gee, I HAVE gone to the bettas!!). I actually had 210+ at one point...(the fry..)

:)

Nov 25, 2010
Love your post! I'm glad I'm not the only betta nut! I always want to bring more of them home! I just love them and their attitudes! I hope to breed mine, but I am having trouble finding someone that sells just females. Any ideas?

Oct 15, 2010
January 29th

The fry are growing each day. I have 2 that I am pretty sure are males.

Breeding tank is set up again. I am going to breed the veiltail pair this time. Same father, different mother.

Oct 15, 2010
Veiltail Spawn 2- failed. No interest anymore. Conditioning some new pairs. Theese guys look good so far. Males have nests, and females are getting ready. Bloodworms, and brine shrimp twice daily. They will be together for 3 more days, and then the females will be taken out for a day.

Oct 15, 2010
OK! SO I do have some new pairs now, but breeding won't start again until late spring-summer. Nobody in the area even has had any luck getting them to breed right now. The fry are doing good- growing lots.

Instead of bettas, we now have little plecos to take care of! Our albino BN pair laid eggs on Friday night, and they hatched on Wednesday, and early in the morning on Thursday. We have a total of 45 little plecos. :)