Betta Changing color

frogger

New Fish
Feb 4, 2011
My Betta started out pinkish or cellophane and now he has a dark spot on both sides of him. Is this normal or is he sick?

Attachments

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I've never seen anything like that. I know that my female white Betta is starting to have a blue sheen to her and her fins, where they were red, are turning blue. Is it just the scales, or something growing on the scales. It's easiest to tell when he's in the light. That way, the scale will reflect the light and therefore you can see if it's the scales or something growing on the scales/him.

Meleemaker

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2010
Pierre SD
My bettas change color like I change clothes(about every 3 days). I had a nice solid red crowntail go from that deep red, to pink, to irridescent blue, to red, then to white with red fins. He really confused me....damn thing still does. He doesnt know what he wants....I secretly think "he" ended up being a she with really long fins. You know girls, cant fiure out what they want!

My blue veil rescue started to turn red when I gave him color enriching foods. I only use them to get him off bloodword/pellet staples.

If you really are worried, check levels, and do a 15% water change every couple days. Try raising the heat a bit to kill off any infection, and add AQUARIUM SALT to the tank(or add a bit more over the doseage if you already are) to help keep the parasites/cysts at bay. I have seen people put bettas at like 90 degrees for an hour or so a day to try to kill off infection, im not sure how that works out...but im sure you could get away with setting at 84 and raising to 88 while keeping a close eye on him

frogger

New Fish
Feb 4, 2011
thanks everyone. it does look like it is his scales not a growth so its probably marbling but ill do a water change just to be safe