Beta color

Mar 28, 2003
Maine
Visit site
I have had my beta for about 5 months now, when i bought him, he was a very pretty chocolate/purply color. with very light, creamy colored fins. He's healthy, but ive noticed that his fins are starting to turn a bluish green. Is this normal.
thanks
jessica

me2

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2003
Visit site
maybe he had ammonia burn when u got him...i recently got a goldfish that was black, maroon and white...the black went away completely and the maroon parts are now orange

havent seen or heard of ammonia burn in bettas...mine all stayed the same color as when i purchased them...so i wouldnt know what ammonia burn would look like in bettas but its a possibility worth looking into

--liz:)

Mar 11, 2003
Bettas do, and often change coloring. I doubt it was an ammonia burn since the ammonia mainly burns the gill area, and would not burn the entire body and fins of your fish. There are a few things you can check to see if they have changed from the pet store conditions, to the conditions he is now.

Tank size- Your bettas colors will be richer when he is in a larger tank. This is a sign of happiness :).

Temperature- The warmer the temps, the richer the colors. Another sign of you bettas comfortability.

Food- Same thing here. The better the food, the better the colors.

There are other things too like water conditions and attention. I hope this helps!

Alexa

me2

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2003
Visit site
PreciousGems- your points about better conditions making a bettas color change are good...but to say that ammonia does not burn fins is incorrect

i did a little research after seeing this post and there are cases of bettas fins being burned/discolored from ammonia

when i got my bettas their color improved within the same week that i got them from good water conditions, temp, tank size and better food...the fact that it took a few months to start getting good color in the fins says to me that he might have been healing from something, it wouldnt take that long for the benifits of good care to show

Weird262-either way, hes doing much better with the good care your giving him :) good luck with ur happy little guy and have fun!!

--liz

Mar 11, 2003
The possibility of the entire body of the betta being burnt is very small. If the whole betta was burnt by ammonia, it would have been dead long ago.

I did not mean that fins cannot be burnt, but usually the fish is dead before the whole fin and torso is burnt completely by ammonia.

me2

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by PreciousGems
The possibility of the entire body of the betta being burnt is very small. If the whole betta was burnt by ammonia, it would have been dead long ago.

I did not mean that fins cannot be burnt, but usually the fish is dead before the whole fin and torso is burnt completely by ammonia.
then what are we arguing about? :D

i wasnt talking about the entire body being burned

and if you read Weird262's she only mentioned the fins changing color :rolleyes:

i was only pointing out the possibility of ammonia burn discoloring the fins

--liz:)