Best gourami for community tank?

May 18, 2016
I have a 29 gallon established tank with 10 neon tetras, 8 black neon tetras, 2 powder blue dwarf gourami (male and female pair), and a common pleco. I love my dwarf gourami and I really enjoy them, but I believe the are on their way out with dwarf gourami disease. I know this disease is fairly common, so I am now hesitant to get more - I don't want to watch my fish that I truly do care for deteriorate like this again. So my question is, what regular gourami species are best for a community tank? I've been looking into a single opaline gourami but it's been difficult to find a straight answer on whether or not it is appropriate for a tank with fish as small as neons. Thanks!
Kate

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I haven't had an issue with an opaline and black neons. Had them together for some time. I started with a small-ish opaline, not sure whether that mattered or not.

Do not get a paradise fish / paradise gourami with little tetras though...

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
29 gallon..my first tank size. still kept the stand and the eclipse filter on top (remember those) for that one day i want a simple setup again.

why can't you keep paradise gourami with tetras? except for the fact that they might eat them right. i just remembered no angels with tetras.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They tend to be too aggressive... I had one that bullied another paradise fish, so I returned the bully. And then, the remaining one went after black neons and ate the eye from one and a hunk of gill cover from a second. Kept him separate from then on. The one eyed black neon lived a long time. Actually, he lived with angels and the opaline gourami.

I've never personally had an issue with angels and tetras, but they were started small with the tetras. As an adult, the same angel munched guppies added after...

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
This tank is overstocked as is. I'd get the common pleco out of there as they will grow to 18" long. You could keep the 18 tetras in there and in terms of a "best" gourami for a happy community tank, I'd suggest a female pearl gourami. They tend to be calm, almost timid.