Beef heart MIX

taybelZ

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with a beefheart mixture for discus. I just bought a couple and the breeder said he just feeds them beefheart and the occasional bloodworms. His fish all look healthy, and now i want to trial this out. Now the question is what do u guys mix in with your mixture... i have been reading several receipes and they are ALL different... some even including bananas, garlic, and spinach. And what effects/impact does it have on your fish. Is there a basic ingredient that is essential to include other then teh beefheart?]

Thanks in advance

D

discusaquarium

hey, im into discus myself, and i have made my own beefheart before too. its a real pain in the ass to do, but you can throw in whatever floats your boat. garlic is said to prevent against internal parasites, and i included some of that. as you know, most discus will not accept flake food, which is really helpful in their diets, so i include some of that also. make sure  you cut ALL of the fat, and arteries off of the heart - if you dont do it right, the fat could build up and cut off parts of the fishes digestive system. i, personally, dont worry about that anymore, and just buy the wattley premade beefheart mixture at my LFS. it is so much easier and has about everything that i just named in it, plus. its not worth the hassle, and my fish seem to like it just the same :)
hope i could help
joe

taybelZ

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
thanks discusaquarium,
i have visited your site and it is very informative... anyway i'm up for a challenge with teh beefheart. I'm goin to add banana into teh mix for easier digestion.. and perhaps add some tetra flake foods which i never use.

R

ronrca

Hi Joe! Havnt heard from you for a while.

I was also going to try to make my own beefheart mixture. That was until my wife mentioned how painstaking and time consuming it was to get all the fat off the heart. Im not much of a kitchen person therefore I just buy the stuff. In actual fact, my discus love the flake/sinking food that I give them therefore I dont even give them much beefheart.