Bamboo shrimp: move,move,MOVE!!!!!

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Hi All.

So I got a bamboo shrimp at a lfs that i dont go to alot (cause the staff are rude) I was just walking by and I chanced in for a little looksee. They had loads of bamboo shrimp,I was glad as I had been thinking abiut getting one for a while. The guy said they where 10 euro,a little steep I tought,but then again Im lose with money,so I got one. Oh btw,when I brought it up to the checkout the two girls did not know what it was or how much it was. I was about to say a tenner,when the better looking one said "all them crab things a 5 euro". Smiling smugly I said nothing and handed over a fiver. (was that wrong??) :eek:

I put the shrimp into his new home,and he rested on one of the fake plants,I looked in on him a hour later and he was......resting on the fake plant,he waved his fan around a little and then did nothing for the rest of the night. When I woke up this morning,I had a look and he was............RESTING ON THE BLOODY PLANT!!!!!!! Sorry.

He looks cool,but I mean I could have just tied a photo to the plant and gotten the same effect!!!!

Delta what do yours do????

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
well one of mine if a hungry one and sits smack in front of the power head, grasping firmly onto arock for dear life lest he get blown away by the current.

The other one is much less active, and spent a couple days sitting in btw 2 rocks, sitting in btw 2 rocks, sitting in btw 2 rocks. THen he got really excited and sat underneath a piece of wood with jave moss on it for 2 more days, but at least under the moss he was filter feeding, although not like he probably should be doing, because his fans were not opened up all the way, and he apparently wasn;t catching much. Then he started to move around and feed. THese guys are definitely NOT the most physically active creatures in the tank.

The first pic (#1) shows the "good" shrimp perched atop a rock about 6 inches away from the powerhead getting blasted with water, and hopefully lots of invisible-to-the-naked-eye fodstuffs for him. Every few seconds he closes a fan and brings it to his mouth.

The 2nd and 3rd shots below are closer shots of him. Notice in shot #2 how the CO2 bubbles are caught in the shot racing past him. I hope he's not eating these.

The 4th shot shows the other bamboo shrimp that doesn't seem to be fully acclimated to his new home yet. He sat in this exact same spot for about 2 days before taking a walk around.

I think this tank may be too "clean" for them though, as their primary food is suspended algae and stuff. I might have to look into some food additive I can put in the water, or I might have to go harvest/buy some rotifers and stuff for him. I really hope I'm not starving these guys to death in my tank.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
WAYHAY............I was the first post in the Other Aquatic Creatures!!!!!!

Cheers Delta,Im glad that other one do nothing as well,at least I know mine is not sick. I actuly saw mine swiming around for ohhhhhhhh 3 seconds,before he legged behind a rock again.

I have blood worm eggs,that I put in for him. Imean there tiny and all,but would they be too big for him to eat????

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
The first one I got seems to be alot darker then yours,I would say he is red.

The second one that I got is more the colour of the ones you have,Beige/orange,he is also bigger but does not have the stripe running down his back. The lfs said he was a rock shrimp. Never heard of it have you???

Note,both are feeding well. The second one seems to be "braver" and does not hide as much.