Bamboo shrimp and algea?

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Would bamboo shrimp be a viable means of controlling water algea blooms? I'm still having rediculous difficulty keeping the algea down. My tank water is a bright, opaque green despite limited artificial light I need to keep the other plants alive. I've even gotten light-blocking curtains which make my room too dark for my liking, but not dark enough for the algea... So, back to the shrimp... Would they help? And thrive?

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Would bamboo shrimp be a viable means of controlling water algea blooms? I'm still having rediculous difficulty keeping the algea down. My tank water is a bright, opaque green despite limited artificial light I need to keep the other plants alive. I've even gotten light-blocking curtains which make my room too dark for my liking, but not dark enough for the algea... So, back to the shrimp... Would they help? And thrive?
What tank is it? If it's one of the 29gs you could stick the oto in your 10g in there, and get him 2 more buddies. If your tank is stocked to the max then take some fish out and put them in another tank.

Plus I think Bamboo Shrimp are freaky *shudders*

Feb 27, 2009
Would bamboo shrimp be a viable means of controlling water algea blooms?
If you are speaking of 'green water' suspended algae, the bamboo shrimp will eat it if there is a stong enough current. But unless the reason for the algae bloom is corrected, they will not be able to control it.

The best way to remove green water is to do daily water changes (25%) until the green is gone.

To prevent it from coming back: reduce feedings (the algae needs nutrients...'fish waste'...to grow). If you are growing plants, make sure they are true aquatic plants. Sometimes you can reduce the light too much. Healthy, growing plants can outcompete green water, but they need sufficient light to do so. Wisteria is a good plant to soak up nutrients.

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Otos are neat little fish and they do eat some algae but they will not clean your tank completely and you will still have to scrub places and parts.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
it's green water, not algea on surfaces. I will get a power head and increase the current and get a few shrimp. I have been doing water changes, but not every day. I will try that. Thanks guys!