Bamboo Shark

I seen this fish on the cover page..and am interested in them..I know i will need a bigger tank eventually..Would like to hear more about these sharks,what they eat ,care of,tankmates etc etc.right know i have a 26 galoon bow front tank. residing in there is 2 columbia sharks,2 black sharks,2 redtailed sharks,1 irredesent shark,2pictuscats,2 balla sharks,2 silverdollars,1 rainbow.Would these be good tank mates for the bamboo shark?

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
am i mistaken or are you thinking about buying a shark?!?!

not to be mean here but you're making a few mistakes hehe

1. its a saltwater fish
2. they get huge and fast
3. even if you could put a saltwater shark in such a small tank with these other fish, they would eat every last thing you have, and then some.

But if you have a saltwater tank thats 125 gallons or more, you can take care of them relativly easy. They will eat anything that can fit into their mouths, so its a good idea to have tank mates be similar sizes. As far as food goes, anything meaty. Large feeder goldfish, squid etc etc.

But once again,, ITS A SALT WATER SHARK! lol cant be putting that in a small freshwater tank.
If you would, the shark would swell up like a balloon and die, read up on osmosis and why fish can survive in saltwater :)

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Regardless whether you get a bamboo or not (and I would lean towards not, they get HUGE) your tank is horribly overstocked. The 2 bala sharks on their own require at a minimum of a 80-90gal tank when their fully grown even a larger tank than that, same with the Colombians. Both those fish can reach a foot and a half in length when fully grown!

I have 3 Colombian's that right now are only 4" each. I'm in the process of moving them into a 77gal tank, and then within a few years to a 150+gal tank. Their only other tankmates will be one common pleco, and one red claw crab. And if I had it to do over again I'd swap out the pleco for a couple small cories and some shrimp/SAE.