Balloon mollies?

RyanML

Small Fish
Aug 18, 2010
hey,

recently upgraded to a 4ft tank, id like to buy some balloon mollies, now my mate seems to think they're a nasty fish (from personal experience i think) but id like some more info from people who have experience with this type of fish as everything I've read has said they're a community fish... I wouldn't like to buy them only to find out they bully or nip any of my other fish (guppies, platys, neons etc)

thanks for any help

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
they are community fish. theyre relatively short lived compared to other molly. theyre deformed...but i guess some find them attractive (i obviously am not a fan lol)

just treat them like you would other mollies - brackish water.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
From what I hear only the giant mexican breed "needs" brackish to survive. All the others will benefit from brackish, but as Neuman said overall they live short lives. Any little bit will help them. (The back and forth on brackish vs. fresh is long standing. I haven't been in the hobby long enough to give gospel on it. I personally don't keep salt with my mollies anymore.)

Mollies don't generally nip or bully, except when it comes to their own species. Keep 1 male to every 2-3 females or you may run into overly harassed females. If there's more than one male they may test for dominance as well.