Bala Sharks nervousness

I have 3 Bala Sharks about a year old in a 125 gallon tank. They are very nervous when people are moving around the room... darting through the tank. I know Balas are known to be a nervous/skiddish fish. Most small Balas in the stores act very similar to mine.

I have also seen a much larger Bala Shark in a store thats not scared of anything. It has only 1 fellow Bala in its tank and its similar in size to mine.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the nervousness/skiddishness goes away with age? Or would maybe adding a few more Balas help? Any info/experience with your own would help... thank you!

Jul 22, 2006
I dunno anything about Bala Sharks, but a few things. They are a schooling fish. If you have three, try adding one or two more and see if it will calm them down and help them to feel more secure. Thats the only advice I can give you. Someone else can help you on the stocking limit for Bala Sharks in 125 gallons. Your signature, at the time of typing this, is not showing the actual numbers of each fish species in the tank.

Thunder

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
How much do you have in the tank as far as decorations? With skittish marine fish at least, they feel more secure with more hiding places, so they're more likely to be out and about if there are more hiding places. They know they can hide any time they like, so they aren't as worried about being out in the open. I'm not sure if it would work with bala sharks too, just an idea.

Jul 21, 2006
uk northampton
i have kept bala sharks before and know a bit about them, get about 4-5 they wil calm down, and no a bala shark will not grow a foot long in captivity, they will grow big yes but not a foot in length. Make sure the tank has plants real or fake and also make sure it has a cave of some description. Then they should settle down:D

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I have 5 bala sharks in a 125g with 5 severums and 2 large plecos, they are not overstocked and they are not agressive. Balas are not agressive fish they enjoy playing together I would recommend getting one or 2 more depending on what else you have for fish in the tank. If you have less than 5 of another type that don't get quite as large then go aheead and get 2 more but if you have other fish that get as large I'd say only get 1 more. What do you have in your tank with them?

i have kept bala sharks before and know a bit about them, get about 4-5 they wil calm down, and no a bala shark will not grow a foot long in captivity, they will grow big yes but not a foot in length.
As well 1 of mine is a foot long and the others are not far behind. Fish will grow as large as their home will let them and 125g is a good size for balas. Mine are very healthy and extremely playful with eachother, sometimes they are jumpy and skittish but just with sudden noises.
Constantly go around the tank and get them use to people and they will eventually be fine but I would get another if you have the space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 22, 2006
Thank you, jamiecarter and animal lover, for such a nice post.

As for you, Cinlnk, think again before you post such a thing.

Thunder

Last edited:
Yes, temp is ok. I don't have a lot of each kind of fish in there except the Tetras. Going by the inch/gallon rule, using adult sizes, its not even close to being overstocked.

I added another rock and am going to double the ammount of plants. And when thats done I am going to buy 2 more Balas. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: