bala shark in a 55gal?

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
For a couple years, if you get them at two inches or so, no problemo. Of course it would depend on the stocking of your tank and its inhabitants.

I've kept two in my 55 gallon with a discus, angel, and ghost knife (which will also outgrow the 55-- he's 11 inches now and still growing).

They are best in pairs or more. IME and that of many others, they are slow growers. My big guy has tripled in size but he's releasing hormones I think that is stunting the other. At some point I'm actually going to move the little one to my undestocked 29 gallon "grow-out" tank and try to put some length and girth on him.

Balas are kinda tricky in that some people think they are like redtail catfish, or even the massive and fast-growing tinfoil barb, which isn't the case. They are long-lived fish that get huge, near tankbusting size, but they are slow to moderate growers for the most part. Of course they would NOT be appropriate in a ten gallon tank any time longer than three weeks for Q. They need a lot of room to swim and 55 gallons give a pair of two-inchers more than adequate space.

Of course, as always, the ultimate size of the fish should be kept in mind. If you are planning on upgrading your tank with appropriate bala tankmates, then it wouldn't be a problem. Same if you are planning on trading, selling, or giving them away when they get larger. But if they will ultimately reside forever in the 55 gallon, they would outgrow it or get stunted and have a shortened lifespan, even though that would most likely take several years.

EDIT: Just realized this in the predatory fish section. Balas would not last long with predatory fish, even a big bala, I don't think.

Last edited:

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
yeah i think this was placed in the predatory forum with the idea that because bala's are sharks, they are predators.. i meant to chime in and also say that they are not :) i have a 3-incher in my 29 gallon right now, and although he's going to get waay to big in time, he hasn't harmed anyone, including my cherry barbs and harlequin rasboras. he's a sweetie. ;)

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
well, i'm certainly not an expert, most of what i know is because i unwillingly ended up with one in my 29 gallon community tank :eek: ... but they are generally peaceful, they like to be in groups of their own.. i have heard that as they get bigger they may eat really small fish, like neon tetras. but other than that they are pretty much community fish. if you had a big enough tank (75+?) you could house 3-4 balas, and some larger community fish... i don't know, maybe angels, gouramis, maybe even silver dollars? someone correct me if i am wrong about any of this!