Badis badis

Oct 22, 2002
Badis badis is my favorite fish and I would be happy to here from other people who have kept them or who are planning to keep them. So please post a little tidbit and let's see what we know.

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
ive been a cichlid keeper for years, but have never raised any badis.

i have seen them time and time again at expos and occasionally at the LFS.

what are they like in general? size, temperment, geographic location, etc.
M

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
I in the future sometime plan to keep this fish. It grabbed my attention when i first heard of it and i still think its a great fish today(Scarlet Badis).

Here is a good link on them:
http://www.tactics.com/d/svas/Newsletter/badis.html

Other then that AmazonTankz has one and he has a picture posted or a link on the 'what fish am i #112' if youd like to check that out.

Managuense: As for size,ect, badis badis stay fairly small around 1" and a very colorful. Thats about all i can really tell you from off the top of my head, visit the link to read up a little on the fish and how to breed it.

- depthC

Oct 22, 2002
Hey everybody, glad to see so much intrest. First off I think we should get two things straight. First of all I think most of you are referring to Badis badis "scarlet". That's fine I just want everyone to now it is much different from Badis badis badis. The promblem with the scarlet is that only males have been imported into the US. While the regular badis both male and female are quite common. I'm glad so many people have seen the scarlet badis and know about it real fast here are the stats of both. By the way that site depthC found is the best one I have found on the internet for them. Ok here are the stats:

Badis badis badisp
Max size: 2 1/2 - 3 inches
Temperature: above 68F is fine below 90F, they're pretty adaptable, higher temperature shorten the lifespan
Food: Only live or frozen
Temperment: 1 male to 2 females, unaggressive to other fish unless breeding
Breeding: Male establishes cave and lures female. She then retreats adn he takes care of the fry and eggs for about a week until all the fry leave

Badis badis "scarlet"
Max size: 1/2 - 1 inch
Temperature: above 68F is fine below 90F, they're pretty adaptable, higher temperature shorten the lifespan
Temperment: 1 male to 1 females, unaggressive to other fish unless breeding
Breeding: all I know about breeding I learned from that article in depthC's post go read it, please

By the way all the badis species are actually not cichlids they are not barbs they are not gouramis or anabantoids, they are most closely related to the South American leaf fish and the African leaf fish, wierd huh? Now I believe the have been removed from the nandae and place in their own family.

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Hey Colisa lalia!

I can't believe I missed this thread...whats up with that?!? I must have went blind for a day or two:rolleyes:

Anyway, yeah I have a scarlet badis. I've had him for quite somtime now...almost a year. He is a great little trooper. I have to say, when I first got him I really had no place to keep him but just could not pass him up!
He hung out in a breeder net for a few months in a few of my tanks...lol..poor guy was moved a few times, to the 55g then the 29g..eventually I have him in a 10g but I took that down and he spent some time in a 5g by himself.
I finally set up a 10g just for him with other small fish, pygmy cories, white cheek gobys a 2 sparkling gouramis. He is so happy now! He has excellent coloring.
One thing about him though, he has never eaten anything else but frozen brine shrimp. No bloodworms or anything else.

Its unfortunate that they don't sell females yet in the states. I would love breed these guys, or try...

I would like to post a link I had with some excellent pics and breeding info, but it seems to not be working:(

I took me awhile to figure out just what I had, as the store I got him from had no idea either...I do find it interesting that they now have their own little family. They are indeed beautiful fish. I may be able to take a better pic of mine....if so I'll post it.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Glad you liked your fish so much. Yeah I'm really hopin that they start to import females, but I know females wouldn't sell at a fish store so it is gonna be some time I think anyway. I think the best way is to continue to look for this great little fish. In the mean time, try Badis badis badis you'll get to see their breeding behavior and their beautiful colors!!*celebrate

Oct 22, 2002
Actually if you find this fish you need to buy at least four for a ten. A pair will end up being just one male. As he will kill the female (Badis baids) not the red ones though you can keep probalby four or five males in a planted ten. By the way both couldn't care less about fry and some will grow up with their parents.

Aug 31, 2003
Honolulu, Hawaii
Visit site
Just my 2 cents --

I've never kept Badis Badis Badis, but I kept six small Scarlet Badis/Badis Bengalensis in a lightly planted 5 gallon about 3 years ago. They were great, great little fish -- the dominant male colored up in vibrant red and blue, while the non-dominants (males or females, I never knew) remained a lot paler. I typically fed them live tubifex or frozen bloodworms.

Very sadly, they didn't survive my house moving about 2 years ago. I haven't seem them at pet stores here in Hawaii since then -- maybe I'll go bug the guys at my favorite LFS this afternoon. Thanks for reminding me of what cool fish they are.

Zanshin

Small Fish
Aug 11, 2003
Honolulu, HI
Visit site
Originally posted by fishlawyer
Just my 2 cents --

I've never kept Badis Badis Badis, but I kept six small Scarlet Badis/Badis Bengalensis in a lightly planted 5 gallon about 3 years ago. They were great, great little fish -- the dominant male colored up in vibrant red and blue, while the non-dominants (males or females, I never knew) remained a lot paler. I typically fed them live tubifex or frozen bloodworms.

Very sadly, they didn't survive my house moving about 2 years ago. I haven't seem them at pet stores here in Hawaii since then -- maybe I'll go bug the guys at my favorite LFS this afternoon. Thanks for reminding me of what cool fish they are.
And where is your favorite lfs? I'm always on the lookout for new stores to check out. My current favorite is Pets Plus on Ward (near Kramers, across from the gas station).

Aug 31, 2003
Honolulu, Hawaii
Visit site
Zanshin --

One for the "it's a small world department" -- and an even smaller island. The best LFS in Honolulu, in my humble opinion is where Myles, Dan, Stan, and the gang are . . . Pets Plus, on Ward. In fact Stan was the one who pointed me toward the Scarlet Badis, and told me that Aaron, former employee and local planted tank god, was starting up a small Scarlet Badis tank.

Maybe I've passed by you in the fish aisles. *laughingc

That's not to say that I don't peek in at Petland, Modern Pet, Pets Unlimited, or Coral Fish occasionally to see if there's anything new -- never know if the next "find" is around the corner.

fishlawyer

Mar 27, 2017
Hey everybody, glad to see so much intrest. First off I think we should get two things straight. First of all I think most of you are referring to Badis badis "scarlet". That's fine I just want everyone to now it is much different from Badis badis badis. The promblem with the scarlet is that only males have been imported into the US. While the regular badis both male and female are quite common. I'm glad so many people have seen the scarlet badis and know about it real fast here are the stats of both. By the way that site depthC found is the best one I have found on the internet for them. Ok here are the stats:

Badis badis badisp
Max size: 2 1/2 - 3 inches
Temperment: 1 male to 2 females, unaggressive to other fish unless breeding
Breeding: Male establishes cave and lures female. She then retreats adn he takes care of the fry and eggs for about a week until all the fry leave

Badis badis "scarlet"
Max size: 1/2 - 1 inch
Temperment: 1 male to 1 females, unaggressive to other fish unless breeding
Breeding: all I know about breeding I learned from that article in depthC's post go read it, please

By the way all the badis species are actually not cichlids they are not barbs they are not gouramis or anabantoids, they are most closely related to the South American leaf fish and the African leaf fish, wierd huh? Now I believe the have been removed from the nandae and place in their own family.

Mar 27, 2017
I have three badis badis, the chameleon fish. All wild badis. I have one dominant male whose body has turned black and his fins are blue. He is gorgeous, and very aggressive. He has made a pot his home, has mated and I now have three babies. Three of my other z\adult badis' have mysteriously died. Is there a chance that he is killing the other adults? Does anyone have any experience with this?