back up pump

drzeus

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
After yet another power outage - fortunately while i was in! - I am hunting around for a backup solution.  I came across this: the Penn Plax Silent Air B11, which you put batteries into, plug into the mains and then when the power goes off it automatically starts up.  Sounds ideal to me-just what i am looking for.  Anyone seen or heard about them? Any good? i cant bear the thought of coming home one day to find not only the VCR and stereo reset (yet again!!) but also my babies on the verge (or worse) of death!!!
(and no one has switched on their airconditioners yet - overload on the horizon!! - we can cope with the extra demand for the 2004 Olympics, Honest 8))
So if you have any ideas we'd be grateful!!

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Those sound great! I would love to have one of those. Our power goes out all the time and that would be nice! Where did you guys find them? Anywhere on the internet? How much do they cost? ;D

drzeus

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHhhhhhhhhhhhh ah I am sooo glad they are good - but having asked Penn Plax where i can get them in this godforsaken country! i have come up with zilch - their "partners" here dont stock them any more :-(
I am hunting around for an online link to get it but havent had any luck yet.  Will let you know if I do!  Any ideas on an alternative make with same feature-ie not just battery powered but also detecting that mains power is off?

drzeus

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Cheers Ryan, I'm still looking too - still waiting on a 2nd reply from Penn Plax themselves - fingers crossed (of course they would be revamping their site just now too - just as well, it wasnt that hot  ;D )

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
We used to have an old crusted one down the street but it looked horrible so we burnt it down. ;D I don't think that would work anyways. I could just use a hand-cranck generator ;D Nah I can just wait for the electricity to turn on. ;D

drzeus

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
;D
I found two links for you folks at least - I am waiting to see if they can send to me - and if they produce a model that will work on our voltage here (of course - boy why is life so complicated!)(I guess I could get my dad to build me something similar as one of his projects, but then ... it could be too late!!)
http://www.petwarehouse.com/webstore/webstore.nsf/(id)/1659A?OpenDocument

and
http://www.thatpetplace.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?UID=2001052716424643&T1=F02+0291+0045&TRAN85=Y&EDP=9322&PRT=D&GENP=
(yeah I know they are long addresses!)