Baby Glowfish???

MomBitBit

Small Fish
Apr 24, 2013
Ok, so I have a tank with platy and Glowfish. I found a platy baby a little over a week ago and had him in a breeder in the tank. image.jpg
Then one day, after having it opened to feed him, a tiny bit of a fish just "appeared" in the tank with him. After a couple days together, I noticed the platy baby seemed super aggressive toward the tiny baby and at the very moment I was preparing a separate tank, he ate him. Well, NOW, I just found two more of the same tiny fish!! I think they may be baby Glowfish but I read they don't reproduce very well...I have one male and two females... image.jpg
Is it baby Glowfish? Note: It looks bigger than it really is..,

MomBitBit

Small Fish
Apr 24, 2013
umm its very difficult to tell because a lot of fish when they are baby they look all the same. and your tank is very nice BTW :)
Thanks! We love our tanks...
My platy baby does look different then this little guy...platy are born bigger than these guys are appearing to be as well...

Feb 27, 2009
I think they may be baby Glowfish but I read they don't reproduce very well
If you mean GloFish®, they reproduce easily. However, is that it is illegal to sell/trade/give away GloFish® as they are trademarked, and still illegal in California. They are no more difficult to raise than the original species of fish. It looks like yours are danio from the picture (the florescent fish are bred from danio, tetra, and barb to my knowledge). All of those fish are egg layers, and because of that, they are more difficult to breed than livebearers in that their eggs often go unnoticed and are vacuumed up, the eggs are more easily eaten by adults, and with only 3 fish, it is hard to know if you have both genders.

You say you have 2 females and one male. How do you tell them apart?

MomBitBit

Small Fish
Apr 24, 2013
If you mean GloFish®, they reproduce easily. However, is that it is illegal to sell/trade/give away GloFish® as they are trademarked, and still illegal in California. They are no more difficult to raise than the original species of fish. It looks like yours are danio from the picture (the florescent fish are bred from danio, tetra, and barb to my knowledge). All of those fish are egg layers, and because of that, they are more difficult to breed than livebearers in that their eggs often go unnoticed and are vacuumed up, the eggs are more easily eaten by adults, and with only 3 fish, it is hard to know if you have both genders.

You say you have 2 females and one male. How do you tell them apart?
I know because I have taken painstaking hours studying them and doing my research and from what I have found, makes are much more slender and longer in their body and females have rounder bodies with a slightly more rounded look to their fins. Plus, my male can be caught occasionally gently harassing my two females :)