Baaah! My water is cloudy!

Dec 14, 2011
WI
I just brought home my used Fluval Edge. I went to add the new sand substrate by putting the bag in like I've seen, but then I realized that there was no way I'd get the back gracefully to the bottom with that small of an opening. I ended up just dumping the two 5lb bags in, and of course, the water is extremely cloudy. I have the filter running, and the two clowns and shrimp are in separate plastic containers. They've probably been in those since 5:30 or so (it's 7:30 right now). I'm not sure what I should do now. =[

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Are you saying you didn't wash the sand thoroughly first or did I miss something? I have never used sand but from reading on this forum everybody washes it and washes it again and again before putting it in their tank.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
Most of the water is from the tank already, I only changed maybe two gallons. You said before that I could use the freshwater test kit, but I'm not sure which website to go to in order to find the colors. I ordered the reef test kit and powerhead online last night.

I put the fish in and the water was completely settled by the time I woke up this morning. I clouded it up again when I shook the rocks off though, lol. Poor fish!

Dec 14, 2011
WI
I also don't know if this rock is actually live or not. It's brown, but it doesn't feel like it has anything on it. It's also white on the bottom. When I go to add more live rock, should I just throw it in the tank, or is there something I should do to it before hand? I also don't know how long to wait before I get the hermit crabs and snail.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I would get the crabs and snail now. Here is the link for the API color carts: Downloads; Pump and filter Instructions, Test Kit charts .
The rock is called live because it has beneficial bacteria on it that is living so IE: Live Rock. If you get live rock from your local you can put it right in your tank if its been in theirs for a couple weeks. Be sure to have them put it in a bag with water like fish so you dont have much die off. Keep an eye on the ammonia and other nutrients just in case you go through a mini cycle.

rb8jo

Small Fish
Jun 21, 2012
I just brought home my used Fluval Edge. I went to add the new sand substrate by putting the bag in like I've seen, but then I realized that there was no way I'd get the back gracefully to the bottom with that small of an opening. I ended up just dumping the two 5lb bags in, and of course, the water is extremely cloudy. I have the filter running, and the two clowns and shrimp are in separate plastic containers. They've probably been in those since 5:30 or so (it's 7:30 right now). I'm not sure what I should do now. =[
Just wanted to tell you NOT to put an airstone in the fish bag it will supercharge the ammonia in the bag. Sand has to settle generally with the pump turned off.If it is live sand it will form a crust on itself if allowed to completely settle.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
I honestly think this tank is actually a 6 gallon. I haven't been able to find an 8 gallon anywhere. I have a feeling this tank is pretty overstocked with the two clowns alone, but I guess the guy has had them both for 2 years without any problems.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I think they have 2,6, and 12. Many people put clowns in those small tanks. It is small for the clowns but if the WC's are kept up weekly and you dont over feed they will be healthy. Having that small of a tank be sure you always have 2 gallons of SW ready to go because the parameters in a tank that size can flip and go bad fast. Also you will probably need to do daily top offs so the salinity does not change with evaporation of the water. I normally top my 10G's off 1-2 times per day. Top offs are done with regular RO/DI water or similar as tap water is NOT recommended. Does your tank have LED's?

Dec 14, 2011
WI
I'm kind of at a standstill with the lighting situation. I want to move away from the halogen bulbs, but I don't know what to put in there instead. Fluvals just have two little holes for bulbs.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
LED's last for a decade minimum before their light spectrum starts to deteriorate. Normally they will need to be replaced due to corrosion before they are that old anyway. You could keep just about anything you wanted except SPS coral at they are kinda tough to keep when first starting out. Some softies like mushrooms, zoas, or toadstools are pretty hearty corals. Also, upon more research I am not sure you could use the LED where a halogen bulb was. The power source might be different.