Arrownanna/Pirana compatable

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
theoreticly yes.in practice no.piranha arn't super violent fish by default.they are nervous,shy fish though and they feel best in a large school.now the arawana,thats a huge onery fish too.so these fish together would need a tank around 500-1000 gallons(thats a bare minimum) to make enough room for both fish to have ample space to live.then consider the fact that you will need a constant supply of small feeder to keep the hungry piranha from picking at the arawana.and that still doesn't make and promises.are you still interseted?

Jul 16, 2003
WI
Visit site
Originally posted by catfishmike
then consider the fact that you will need a constant supply of small feeder to keep the hungry piranha from picking at the arawana.and that still doesn't make and promises.are you still interseted? [/B]

The long flowing tail and fins of an aro would be way too tantalizing for a piranha to resist!
On the flip side, a competitive sized aro wouldn't hesitate to try and snap up a piranha either.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
true but if they were distracted by enough food i think it's possible.still wouldn't try it to find out anyways.i was offering all that at full grown size.some of those piranha get pretty big to be a treat for an arawana.either way though i wouldn't try it.

Jul 16, 2003
WI
Visit site
Originally posted by catfishmike
true but if they were distracted by enough food i think it's possible.still wouldn't try it to find out anyways.i was offering all that at full grown size.some of those piranha get pretty big to be a treat for an arawana.either way though i wouldn't try it.

Piranha will still bite air line hose, real and fake plants, all the while being well fed.
The bottom line is, we agree. don't do it. *celebrate