Are either of my platies pregnant? Pics included

Feb 27, 2009
If a livebearer female has been with a male within the past 6 months, odds are good she is pregnant. With one mating, she could have several batches of fry over several months.

Jul 12, 2013
California
Okay- Thanks for the feedback! Couple more questions:

1) Should I put them in the hatchery now? The smaller girl has been a LOT less active than the other one (i.e staying at the top corners of the tank, hiding, etc)

2) How close do you think they are to having their babies?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Frequently moving them just stress them out and they can either hold the fry or abort them too soon. Should this all work out, do you know what you are going to do with all the fry? That is one of the problems with live bearers. Many times its better to just let nature take its course and then you only have a few to take care of. It isn't easy to rehome platies, guppies and mollies.

Jul 12, 2013
California
I was thinking about that.. I don't like the fact of having them be eaten but seeing as they reproduce so much then I'm more opt to just letting them go... Maybe I can just catch a few of them and put them in the hatchery while they grow instead of having so many? Would that work?
Also- would a nylon stocking be okay to put over the filter so none of them get sucked up into it?