Are discus................

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Are discus really slow growing fish? Bc i have had a discus for a few months and it only grew and inch and a half ???
                                Daniel

Ratbag

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
South East UK
How big was it when U got it? If it was large anyway it will grow slowly. Anyway, 1.5 inches is probably about right for a few months, it all depends on the particular fish.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
IT is maybe 3 in from head to tail i think it was 1.5 inches when i got it. I feed him a balanced diet of flakes, beefheart, bloodworms , and sometimes shrimp. Is this a good diet? O and im also getting some tetramin color bites along with some spectrum in the near future.

No they are not slow growing. To get the maximum growth they love daily waterchanges. They feed heavily and prefer to eat a LOT and OFTEN. Of course that fouls the tank, so daily waterchanges of at least 20% will help.

Mine get daily waterchanges of 20%, 2x weekly they get 50%. There were 5 in a 55g, now there are 3 after the heatwave and my laziness due to the same heatwave, and a discus with a sensitive tummy.

Go easy on the flakes, concentrate on frozen or live foods. I"m breeding convicts to supply my discus with live food.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Geese poor babies !!!! and like backdraft said ruthless! 8)

My discus tank usually get aleast twice weekly of about 40-50%. How is this, should i try to get in more only  smaller amount each change? Or just more?

R

ronrca

Cool! I started with 3x/week (30%) water change now with my baby discus too. They are around 3" or so. How long will it take for them to grow big, lets say 4-5"? I feed twice a day, mornings (variety of sinking pellets), and evenings (beefheart). Should I increase frequency or volume to get faster growth or is this enough? I want to put them into my planted tank but not when they are juveniles and of course the quicker the better.  *thumbsupsmiley*

ron, if they have not had the massive waterchanges uninterrupted since birth, they would be considered stunted to "serious" discus keepers.

Try and get a 3rd feeding daily and keep up with the new w/c regime. I bet they grow for you! Just not as massive as could have been. I've seen 8 month old discus at 7"...they were pampered according to all the "facts".  6x daily feeds......daily 50% or more w/c, barebottom tank./.......*sigh*. Most of us have lives.....

R

ronrca

A third feeding? Yikes! Well I guess I'll have to get my autofeeder running again. How long do you think it will take for them to grow another 1"?

Of course a auto waterchanger would be sweet and maybe when the basement is free, I'll be able to have a room just for fish and definitly try to figure a auto waterchanger out.