Aqueon fliter

Aug 4, 2013
I've had my 18 gallon freshwater tank about 3 months. I was cleaning it today and when i took off the tube for the filter it stoped working. It made the sound like it wasn't getting water, which it wasn't, but then just started humming and not pumping. By removing the tube I deprived the filter of water for a short time. I didn't think that would kill it. When I turn it side to side it starts making more noise like it's trying to pump but putting it back in the water reveals it is still not pumping. I have unpluged it and repluged it. Looking for some help on this asap.

Thanks guys-

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
How deep was the filter in water? It needs to have water up at least over the impellar in the housing that the tube attaches to. I had the same thing happen and called the company and felt foolish because of course it can't pump if the propeller doesn't have any water to pump. I have four of those filters. Aquon has been really helpful when I had questions in the beginning.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
OC is correct most filters need to be primed, but - as long as the water is deep enough I have not found that necessary with the Aquons - that is why all mine are that brand. If we have a power failure and I am not home there is a loll between when the generator kicks in and so the filters start right up again by themselves.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Other thing to try - not sure about Aqueons specifically, but some filters the impellers can "mis-seat" themselves after they are taken apart cleaning. So if you just pull the impeller out and seat it back in properly sometimes that fixes the problem.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
All great points. I'd guess that the impeller isn't seated properly, or a glob of debris has it clogged. Any time they don't sound right, or don't catch prime quickly, you've got to remove the filter from the tank, get it over to a utility sink or the likes, take it apart and clean it. Just make sure to you the bio media intact.

I don't think there's a HOB filter out there anymore than wont start itself provided there's an adequate water level in the tank.

I know the cheap Top Fin, marineland and my Aquaclears will start themselves

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
all of mine need primed and i run penguin biowheels. if i do a water changes and the filters completly drain they wont fire back up unless i put water in them. also they make a horrible noise till they start pumping water. as for the problem at hand i'd suggest what reshy said, check to see if anything is out of place or if something is preventing the impellar from turning.