Aqueon filter sale at DrsFosterandSmith.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I just ordered an Aqueon 50 for $19.99. They're $32+ at my local stores, plus I've got a $10 off mail-in rebate from Aqueon for this filter. 12 packs of large filter pads are $12.99. Yeah I know ACs have the bigger calling on the forums, I've got two AC30's on other tanks, but they kind of irritate me having to be kick-started at nearly every WC.

This will be supplemental filtration for my 55g. I've got a SunSun 302 and a little powerhead in there too.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Strange, my AC 110 would restart after a long annoying gurgle. Also strange that all of my marineland filters have restarted right away except the penguin 150. That one will never restart its self and I have no idea why.

That's a good deal. So it will in the end cost you about $10?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
That's a good deal. So it will in the end cost you about $10?
Yep, I purchased it for that reason and the fact I wanted something to backup the low capacity (cheap) canister on this tank.

I love the media flexibility of my Hagen/Aquaclears. You can use whatever media you want in them and stack it however you like, but the darn pump anomalies really tick me off with them. Often the impeller wont spin on them unless I pull off the suction tube, reach down in there and give the impeller a flick. They're clean as a whistle, all grommets, shafts, etc intact.

I'm not huge on going back to throw away filter pads, but I tend to rinse/reuse them for a few sessions. I'll probably cut a slit in them and dump the carbon from the get-go.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Just use the carbon while its there. Can't hurt and may actually add some clarity. I think that business about carbon rereleasing pollutants is bunk. I'm actually thinking of going back to carbon in my freshwater tanks, since I'm laid off for the winter and need to keep busy so I don't have to change diapers.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
My only concern with the little bit of carbon that's in those pads is what effect it will have on my glutaral dosing to my 55g (for CO2).

I read something on Seachem's site where they say carbon has "minimal effect" on Excel dosing, but I don't know what their definition of "minimal" is. As far as I know, Excel is glutaral based too.

Yeah, still struggling with potty training our 2yr old. Ugh...

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Ah I see. Yeah that's beyond me.

FWIW use television and suckers. We sat ours infront of the tv whilst sitting on his potty chair and gave him a sucker when he finally went.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Well.. I hope when this filter makes it in the mail, it doesn't get delivered to the snowbank near the mailbox like one package I found yesterday!

It's been an old-school Buffalo winter the past few weeks. My area has gotten ~5ft of snow. I've spent more time snowblowing and shoveling the past two weeks, then I have the past 4-5yrs!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Here is a site with a discussion on Carbon - there are two pages, plus some links to other discussions. Carbon -- to use or not to use?

I have all Aquon filters. I like them a lot and try to buy the filters by mail when they have deals on them. I changed them about every 2 months. They are very supportive of their equipment. I had an impeller fail early on and when I called them they explained how to test an impeller and then they sent me several of them - no charge. Haven't had one fail since and its been about 3 years now.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Good customer service is tough to beat and a surefire way to keep consumers loyal. I just wish there filters had bio wheels. I really like that design by marineland.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Good info Thyra.

What I like about the Aqueon's specs is the way the pump/motor sits down low, close to the suction. I guess they'll start up and prime when they're empty.

I know this is not the case with the two AquaClear 30's I have. The siphon breaks on water changes and you have to dump water into them, to get them going again. Then if the darn impeller won't spin, I have to pull the tube out and flick the impeller to get it going.

As much as I like my Sunsun 302 canister, they are a project to clean compared to a HOB. I'm sure they filter better, but my 302 has limited flow (why I want to supplement with the Aqueon).

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You are correct about the Aqueon starting without priming - maybe not the first time when you take if out of the box - I can't remember any more, but they always have with water changes and power outages.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Sounds good Thryra.

I've seen some threads about making your own media for the Aqueon filters. Buying bulk sheets of media, cutting them to size and holding them between the grids. As long as I can get "factory" replacements for $2/ea every two months or so, that certainly won't break the bank!

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I've had the new Aqueon 50 setup and running for a few days on my 55g. The pros and cons:

Pro: I like the filter cartridge fitment. The cartridge slides precisely into a blue plastic bio-grid, then that assembly slides into the HOB. No real paths for water to bypass the cartridge like on some other HOBs.

The unit self-starts so well, I didn't even have the power plug fully seated into the power strip and the filter had entirely filled itself and was pumping like mad.

It moves a LOT of water. The most I've seen out of a single cartridge HOB. Enough that I wish I could cut it back some. (to quiet it)

Cons: It is incredibly LOUD. Both in motor hum/whirr and in water splashing sounds. The outlet does not dip down into the water like on many HOBs, so there is lots of water droplet splashing on my vers-tops and NOISE. I did quiet the motor/impeller by disassembling it and greasing the magnet and both shafts with non-toxic plumber's grease, but it still sounds like I've got a Briggs and Stratton powered water feature running in that room. I'm sure the whole Aqueon HOB line isn't as loud, maybe this model is more prone because of the pump size and flow rates. I dunno.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Freshy it looks like that filter might be sitting at an angle towards the wall. If you put a spacer between the tank and the bottom of the unit, that might tilt the output toward the water a bit more. It looks more drastic in the second photo.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
i see water sprite and wisteria respectively :cool:
Oh yes.. and a lot of it! I bought a potted bunch of each from my LFS this spring. I have to thin it out almost weekly. Also have some sloooooow growing anubias nana and java fern at the bottom of this tank.

Freshy it looks like that filter might be sitting at an angle towards the wall. If you put a spacer between the tank and the bottom of the unit, that might tilt the output toward the water a bit more. It looks more drastic in the second photo.
Yep, it is slightly angled. Problem is, it's so tight on a 55's frame that I can't get much if any 'tilt' movement out of it. I was able to quiet it a bunch by silicone greasing the impeller mag and shafts and raising the water level up high on the tank.

IMO, it's too much flow for one filter pad on the Aqueon 50. I've only had it installed since 12/24/13 and rinsed it twice, but it's nearly plugged. Like I say, this thing pumps a crazy amount of water.