Aquariums and earthquakes...

Hello here.

I have just moved from Italy to California (US) and I'd like to buy a big aquarium of over 125 gallons in my new home (as I had in Italy!), but I am a little afraid by earthquakes that could happen here... anyone had any such experience?

Any idea and thoughts are very welcome! Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Fabrizio

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I don't think California gets earthquakes very often that can shake the water straight out of a tank. I am sure many people in Cali have tanks - don't let fears of mother nature preclude you from your hobbie. If you rent an apartment get renters insurance, it's cheap and if you own a place you gotta have it insured by law anyways.

SoleilReine

Medium Fish
Jan 19, 2005
Mesa, Arizona
Nothing to get shook up about

The bigger concern with earthquakes is not shaking the water out of the tank, but rattling the tank enough to damage the structural integrity of the tank. With 125G of water to slosh around, I imagine that would do a significant amount of damage rather fast in a 5.0+ earthquake.

Laguna Niguel is not terribly close to the San Andreas Fault, but being in southern CA it is still susceptible to earthquakes. I agree with discus, though--you shouldn't let geologic hazards deter you from such a great hobby! Renter's insurance is a good way to protect yourself (and in my opinion, the greater hazard along the coast is landslides).

Good luck in your transition to California, and I hope you go forward with keeping fish!

billfish

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2004
Visit site
I lived in Calif. for 14 years and in that time suffered thru several earthquakes the worst being the Northridge quake. click here
Granted that quake was by far the most powerful of all that I encountered.
I was awake when it hit and watched a 25 gl show tank flung a distance of 3 feet! Along with all of my other tanks tumbling of their stands. Local fish stores were all devistated. I could go on and on but it really is a painful memory.

There really is nothing you can do for your tanks in a bigger quake, what will be will be. But in regards to the many little shakers putting wood rails or stops around the top of your stand will help keep the tank from shaking off in the minor quakes. Of course you still may have damage caused by any decorations inside the tank such as rocks hitting the glass.

I say just go with it and enjoy your tanks and fish. If it ever hits there really isn't anything you can do anyway.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to MFT and the U.S.!

Some people brace their tanks to the wall (or tanks and stands). For some intensities of earthquakes that will stop your tank from falling over or falling off the stand.

The many small (4.0 or less) earthquakes here each year won't affect your tanks. You'll hardly feel them, and your tanks will be fine.

WOW guys! I am astonished by the answers I received!

I am afraid by the explanation of billfish (actually to have my tank falling down is one of my worst nightmares!) and I really hope to find a solution to secure the tank either at the back wall or to the basement.

In the other hand, thanks Lotus, I am comfortable to know that the small earthquakes will not affect my tank.

My thought is how I can assure the tank in a way that it is not too ugly to see, in other words I was thinking to how to secure it without to build a too complicate or ugly structure around it since I plan to put my new tank in the living room. Do you know if there is any already tested structure that can firmly brace the tank at the base of it, maybe for 7-8 inches at the bottom? Just an idea!

THANK YOU for your kindness and important advices. I am very glad to have discovered this forum. *SUNSMILE*

Best,
Fabrizio.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
There are some comments and ideas here (following a 6.6 quake): http://www.thekrib.com/Misc/earthquake.html

Having read this, I see the advantage of an acrylic tank, if you're really worried. I think most people in California tend to try to ignore earthquakes after a while. Of course, if the electricity goes out, you will need to think about what to do. Usually a battery-powered airpump will see the fish through for a few days.

Yes, I will consider acrylic tanks.

Actually by reading the text on your mentioned page:

http://www.thekrib.com/Misc/earthquake.html

I am concerned by the fact that is not so easy to prevent an earthquake to cause damage: to firmly block the thank to the floor or wall couldn't be the right solution. A firm but flexible structure could be necessary to absorb earthquake forces... my natural question is: does exist any commercial solution to this problem?

Thank you again...

Fab.

janjan

Small Fish
May 15, 2004
so. california
Visit site
Hi - I live the Los Angeles area, and have suffered through many earthquakes. My suggestion would be to get an acrylic tank, because they only have 1 seam...and an oak base. I have never had any problems. During the last earthquake, I lost about 5 inches of water in the pool, but the tank was fine. Hope this helps

Jan

May 9, 2005
You live in Laguna Niguel so I wouldn't be worried about it too much.

The Northridge incident is in Northern California so you're in Southern (right?) so really I wouldn't worry about it.

janjan

Small Fish
May 15, 2004
so. california
Visit site
Hi - The northridge quake was in southern cal. about 25 miles from me. My tanks are are 250 gal and 50 gal. Both are acrylic and sit on custom oak stands. the 250 is used for a room divider. ... and have had no problems with the tanks. Like I said the pool lost water, but the tanks were fine.

namukoby

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2005
If you really want some way to secure your tank, I would suggest doing what parents are advised to do with tall bookshelves, or chests that children might climb on, and pull down onto themselves. There are strips of strong, woven, belt-like material that are bolted onto the wall, and onto the cabinet, (or aquarium stand) to keep it from tipping too far forward. You can get them in the infant department at wal-mart, or wherever you can find child-proofing items. I don't know if they would be strong enough for an aquarium, but maybe if you use several. . .