Aquarium stand

kittledee

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2015
Hi everyone, I am looking to upgrade my tank to a larger size and need some advice. Can anyone tell me which is better, acrylic or glass and why? And here's the big one- I'm trying to find a stand that looks good and is sturdy. I see a lot of nice looking stands out there, but when you read the fine print they are made of particle board. To me, that just seems like a disaster waiting to happen! Does anyone know where I can find a good stand in the Birmingham, AL area? I'm looking at getting a tank in the 50 - 70 gallon range. Thanks!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Craigslist is a good place for deals on used equipment. Also if you have any local aquarium clubs (or reef clubs), you can find equipment that way also. For the most part, if you find a used tank, there is often a stand involved as well. And typically extras as well.

I have yet to have a problem with a used tank leaking - actually, the only one I had that leaked was purchased new... I've gotten 3 used tanks with no leaks ever, and just filled up a 4th (75g) used tank which is doing well so far. With any sizable tank, used or new, it is prudent to fill it up either outside or in a garage, etc. first to double check for leaks - I usually fill up a tank and leave it overnight before setting it up in the house.

The internet can be your friend as far as good stands go, as well. I was looking at R&J enterprises and Deep Blue stands with my 40B - got Deep Blue and it was built like a tank, though the description was a bit misleading so I had to modify the back. I have also found a few nice stands on clearance at Petsmart when they are discontinued / missing the tank. Obviously that method is hit and miss, so it depends on whether you're taking your time or in a rush.

Acrylic is lighter than glass, more expensive, scratches more easily, often thicker, can be made in any shape.

Glass is heavier, more resistant to scratches, typically cheaper.

Depends on what you are going for. I believe most people go the acrylic route if they are getting a very large tank (for ease of transport, being it is MUCH lighter), or if they are getting some kind of custom curved shape. I've only had glass and have no complaints.

Also if you're considering a 55g, do yourself a favor and look at 75g instead - same length but an extra 6" in width makes it much nicer to work with and aquascape.

kittledee

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2015
Thank you- that's great advice! I appreciate that. I think I'll stick with glass for the tank. I've always had glass and never had any problems. I read somewhere that acrylic doesn't scratch as easy but I think that's wrong. I've had my current tank over 10 years and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I think the bigger tank is a good idea too! Let the search begun! :)

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
Also if you're considering a 55g, do yourself a favor and look at 75g instead - same length but an extra 6" in width makes it much nicer to work with and aquascape.
100% agree. the width makes a huge difference.

i've had acrylic tanks. hated the scratches that would eventually show up. so i've gone glass every since.

kittledee

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2015
Yea, that had to be wrong about acrylic not scratching. I am having a hard time finding a stand that isn't made of particle board. I really like the wood stands but seems like real wood is hard to find for some reason.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
most fish stores will sell you the MDF stands. it's usually the most common and affordable stands. all my stands in the beginning where MDF stands and i had no issues. what you can try is find a LFS and ask them to see if they can make you a stand out of real wood instead. that's how i got my new setup.

i had saltwater snails etch their bite marks into my acrylic tank lol.

kittledee

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2015
Wow! I had no idea snails could do that! Thanks for the good advice! I have checked with a couple local stores, and there are a couple left to check still. I did find a local store that had really nice oak (solid) stands for sale. A little pricey,but probably well worth the cost. If I can't find a better deal, I'll be going back and ordering that oak stand. ( ok I'm secretly dying to have to that stand-it's beautiful!!) but I have to check around to keep the peace, if you know what I mean. Not everyone understands our love for our fish tanks! Thanks again!

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Or get yourself a Titan-Eze metal stand that can hold two tanks (upper and lower). I've got one that can hold twin 75/90/110g tanks.

I wouldn't necessarily steer anyone away from a 55g tank. They're versatile and cheap when you can get them during $1/gal sales. 55s are typically the largest offered for $1/gal. A new 75g at a store will run you $120-160.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Really.. I didn't know they made a metal stand for tanks that big! That's cool.. Do you have any pictures?
Not the best pic and a little old, but this is my 75g (top) and 55g (bottom). I added a piece of plywood under the 55g, given this stand is intended to hold two 48" x 18" tanks. I also put a pair of jack posts in the basement to give extra support to the floor.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
that's cool! think they should make some stands like that for people who don't have space for multiple tanks but want more.
Yeah, they're pretty nice for fitting maximum tankage in minimum space. LOL. Just search Titan Eze metal stands. They make them from twin 10g to the largest that holds twin 75/90/110. They're not expensive either, but I wouldn't use them on carpeting or soft flooring due to the 4 pointy legs. I've got mine on a ceramic tile floor (my mud room) and have metal furniture cups under the front legs for leveling.

kittledee

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2015
Definitely something I want to check into. Thanks for the info! We are moving into our new house April 22nd, and I want to set the new aquarium up on the new stand then. I don't want to set up the old one and take it down a couple days later when I have the new one. That's just crazy. I will have to have something by then. They're not good on carpet? That's a drawback.. Unfortunately the whole house except the kitchen, bathrooms and basement are carpet. Could I put something on the carpet to set the stand on do you think?
Thanks again for the tip! :)

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
You could set them up on sections of wood or a piece of plywood. The legs are made of 1" square tube with plastic caps on it, so each of the 4, one square inch feet has a lot of weight on it. Never tried it on carpet, but think it would mash in or be wobbly.