Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Closed with canopy

• Colsed with other

• Total voters
Apr 15, 2013
Vancouver
Hey all...I had an open top 77 g saltwater tank I had to tear down a few years ago? Finally getting it set up again as a planted freshwater tank. Just wondering what the general feel is as to covers. I don't want to decrease light penetration...and also don't want glare entering the room. I have no problem choosing fish that don't jump if it's better to have an open tank. My main concern it the lighting fixture rests on the edge of the tank...guess I'm worried it could fall in. What do you guts think! *twirlysmi

Feb 27, 2009
Hello AquaMan1, welcome to the forum.

I have open-topped planted tanks, but my lights are on legs that keep them away from any possible water splash or condensation.

If your lights rest directly on the tank, you MAY run into heat problems with the fixture and the rim. I would recommend either putting the lights on legs, or covering the tank with a glass top to prevent water splash/condensation on the light fixture. You can have glass cut rather cheaply at home-improvement type stores if you don't want the 'stock' tops that are available. The plastic hinges on those do block a good bit of light.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
How you decided which fish don't jump?? I have never seen or heard any of my community type fish jump. I have glass covers on my tanks. I have found a platy and a red eyed tetra dead behind the tank so they obviously jumped through small openings. As far as knocking the light in - I wouldn't chance it. All you have to do it bump it when trying to retrieve a fish - either dead or alive - or anchor a plant etc. and you have the light in the tank.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I hear you that the glass tops are kind of a pain, but with my kids and other furry pets, they're a necessity. There's lots of options. Store bought versa-tops. Custom cut glass or plexiglass from a glass shop. or cut some 2'X4' plastic egg crate troffer light diffusers to fit your tank.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you want something to prevent jumpers but still have an "open" top, you can make a screen mesh top either through DIY screen supplies at Home Depot / Lowes, or you can get a kit at bulkreefsupply.com. The kit comes with 1/4" screen mesh that doesn't seem to block any light.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you want open top but don't want the fear (or reality) of the light falling in, you may want to think about suspending it from the ceiling. We've done this with a few tanks and it looks nice. The hardware probably doesn't cost more than $15. If it doesn't have hooks, have the cables go under the fixture to support it.

We have a few open-top tanks, and we occasionally lose fish. It's really a risk you take.

A full canopy makes the tank look finished, means you don't have glare and stops fish jumping out. They can be a pain to remove when you want to work in the tank. If it's a planted tank, you may work in it more than other tanks.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i'm a fan of an open tank. one thi i can sust is what i did with my 20 gallon. i made a 3 sided open top canopy that is 8 inches tall. looks good, prevents 3/4 protection against jumping fish and also holds my lighing high above the water to prevent splashing.

Apr 15, 2013
Vancouver
If you want open top but don't want the fear (or reality) of the light falling in, you may want to think about suspending it from the ceiling.
Hey Lotus,
I have a pendant geissman light...but didn't like the amount of glare from the side of the tank...made viewing more difficult. Plus the halides gave off too much heat and made an annoying buzzing. Economically it would make sense to use it...as it was around $1200! Hmmm

Apr 15, 2013
Vancouver
I hear you that the glass tops are kind of a pain, but with my kids and other furry pets, they're a necessity. There's lots of options. Store bought versa-tops. Custom cut glass or plexiglass from a glass shop. or cut some 2'X4' plastic egg crate troffer light diffusers to fit your tank.
Do u find the crates decrease light penetration?

Apr 15, 2013
Vancouver
[SUP][/SUP]
If you want something to prevent jumpers but still have an "open" top, you can make a screen mesh top either through DIY screen supplies at Home Depot / Lowes, or you can get a kit at bulkreefsupply.com. The kit comes with 1/4" screen mesh that doesn't seem to block any light.
Thanks CAPS,
Same question as freshy...wouldn't the mesh decrease light penetration?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
2013-04-16 12.39.15.jpg this is the 3 sided canopy I made for my 20. very easy to take off to work on the tank. supports the lighting. helps prevent most jumpers and also looks pretty nice. its an idea to keep the tank open but yet covered.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Do u find the crates decrease light penetration?
I haven't tried it.

I have seen posts with pictures from them. These type of light grids are designed to pass light. There's going to be losses, but minimal.

In regards to a 48" coralife light, look into an Odyssea 48" T5HOif you want to save some bucks. I love mine. It's got sturdy legs, but like said, things can happen.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The egg crate does cut down/diffuse the light somewhat. We have it on our saltwater tank. If your light is fairly good, it shouldn't cause a massive problem for plants in a tank (our corals seem to do well enough).

I should add that on a saltwater tank, the egg crate won't stop a determined fish from jumping out. Certain saltwater fish seem to jump out with much more determination than most freshwater fish, IME. In freshwater, a lot of it depends on which type of fish you plan to keep.