aqua-tech filter

KarenJ

New Fish
Jul 25, 2013
I have an Aqua-Tech 10-20 filter and use the ez-change #2 filter cartridges. I'm ready to clean the tank but have had difficulty finding more of the filter cartridges. My local Wal-Mart hasn't had the filters in stock for some time now. I've searched the online site and have found the #2 cartridges only. So my question is, are they the same thing? :confused:

Feb 27, 2009
I'm not familiar with the brand, but you can use the same filter cartridge a very long time. When I used HOB filters, I used the cartridges until they fell apart (years).

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I agree that you can rinse out and re-use the mechanical filtration cartridges, but some are built better than others.

For instance, the Top Fin 30 (Petsmart brand) I had on my 29g and 20g, used cartridges that would crumble/fall apart in 2 months or so. I would *assume* that the Wal*Mart brand cartridges would be similar.

On the other hand, penguin bio-wheel cartridges would last rinse after rinse for me (from my 10g).

I've since upgraded both tanks to Aqua Clear 30 filters. For ~$30 shipped to your door, I'd recommend going that route. They use reusable media.