Apple Snail Questions

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I have a question about apple snail eggs/breeding. roughly how old do they need to be to start breeding? Can you roughly tell age by the size? I know that it depends on tank size, environment, etc., how big they would grow and how fast. And do the different colours ever breed? Would like to try this sometime, I have never had apple snails breed at home! I have also discovered the joy of nerite snails, am I destined to have an all snail tank????

brnttoast

Small Fish
Sep 16, 2006
winnipeg manitoba
do a water change, raise the water temp slightly when you do the change and leave 3-4 inches of air space when you refill the tank, give them some good food(spinich,collards etc) and you should get eggs within a week

i have apples laying eggs that are roughly quarter sized, age unknown.... i've had too many clutches of eggs over the years

if you still get no eggs they might not be mature enough, or.... you might have all of one sex

different colors will breed togeather, i've heard some apples(spixi) will sometimes even breed with columbian ramshorn

Alkiazer

Medium Fish
Sep 27, 2008
ABQ
www.oniclangaming.com
I have apple snails and they are very active and leave clusters of eggs all the time in my tank. they eat flakes, shrimp pellets, algae tabs, and dieng plants in the tank. they start laying eggs at about the size of a quarter and keep growing to the size of 1/2 a baseball or more laying throughout their life. they breed so often I guarantee you will need to remove egg clusters weekly, however it is extremely simple since they lay in large chunk clusters that are hard enough for u to grab with your hand and so tightly packed they come off whole, however if u plan on keeping them don't touch the eggs as sometimes they are very delicate and squishy if u have alot of water evaporation. Eggs require no special attention unless ur water level is low and they lay the eggs low if u intend refill some water don't let the water raise up and touch them. takes a couple weeks to hatch and they will be the color of one parent or the other Good luck =D

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Awesome, thank you guys! I think this is a case of being so excited now, then looking back on this one day and thinking "I was excited about this????" Wish I had the room to test out a bunch of "colour combinations" I need to go snail shopping now....