Anybody use rocks from the backyard?

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Anything to watch out for? I hate to pay money fro rocks.Weve got a ton in S.California.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I've used rocks from the creek on our farm in my tank. I soked it for a couple of days and then scrubbed it and boiled it in a pan and let it soke for a few more days just to be safe. I have them in there right now and they look great. Good luck. ;D

D

discusaquarium

you might want to watch out for rocks that will alter the water quality. rocks can raise the pH drastically if you put the wrong kind in. i would suggest trying a rock in a tank that you know the water parameters in and see if they change when you add the rock for a week or so.  ;D
Joe

D

discusaquarium

i like taking a step towards the safe side, i mean killing a few discus isnt worth a rock. :p

R

ronrca

I have tried it and some rocks do change the water pH and hardness while others interestingly enough, can lower pH and hardness. I usually test my rocks for a week to 2 weeks before putting them in my tanks. Of course I also boil them. A good website is www.notcatfish.com It will tell you what rocks to look out for and which are 'safer'.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Pour white vinegar on your rock. If it fizzes..it will alter your water.

I boiled them, scrubbed them, and let them airdry for a few weeks. Then I scrubbed again. These were from a river(which is called a lake go figure) and it was winter. So I assumed most of the baddies were frozen dead. Summer they are still alive.

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
These are rocks from the back of my house, New development and tons of rocks. Ive got them soaking right now. PH has stayed stable the last 2 days

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
 I do! I just use some vinegar to clean them, becausee it is the safest and fastest way to clean them. also you should always do the ammonia test on rocks you are going to put in your tank. if the rock bubbles under ammonia you can't use it. i am not sure why, but i have heard that if they do not pass this test they will hurt the fish.