Any way to save the shrimp?

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I mis-read the lable on my Rid-Ick to say it was "safe for inverts" (my brain skipped the "not" right before that statement. I feel like an idiot). I have killed 4 of my 8 ghost shrimp, and 3 look really bad (they have gone white). There's only one that seems unaffected at this point. The last time I dosed the tank was 2 weeks ago (only did 2 doses). These 3 have been white for the last week and a half. I have since changed the water out a few times (about 20% 5 times over the last week. I am worried about changing it more often because the tap pH and the tank pH are off by a lot - don't want to stress the neons any more than they already are... or the shrimp for that matter).
Is there any hope for these guys? Or should I just make them as comfortable as possible for the remainder of their days?
I normally use melafix and salt with increased temps, but for some reason I picked Rid-Ick instead this time. I should have known better... I feel bad for my little shrimp.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
maybe they can live but anytime i hear of shrimp going white, it usually means they have some bacterial infection and they die soon after that. yours don't sound good. if they go get some cherry shrimp and dont use meds with inverts. copper and other metals can kill them, but especially copper compounds.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
agreed with newman. there are also some different types of shrimp bred from cherry shrimp. I got sakura shrimp and there is also the rili shrimp. i personally think they are a bit cooler then the standard cherry shrimp.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
thanks. I was hoping I could save them. I guess it's just a matter of waiting for them to pass on... :( I hate torturing animals that way.
I would liek to get some other cool shrimp, but I worry that my betta will eat them. The ghost shrimp are inexpensive enough to allow a few to become snacks. (I'm ok with the whole "circle of life" thing when I'm not needlessly killing the poor things). I have a few extra tanks now that I cut down on the reptile colony. If I can save enough money in the coming months, I may set up one of the 40's (tall) as a small-fish, and shrimp tank. I miss having more flashy inverts... and I really like the galaxy rasboras and smaller tetras... I'd prefer a 40 breeder for that, but I have to cut corners where I can (and I can't justify buying a new fish tank when I keep saying I'm going to upgrade the snake enclosures first).
Is there a good online invert breeder/dealer that I should keep my eye on? I worry about the random shipments from across the globe...

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
aquabid gave me a whole bunch of pop-up "hot asian girls" windows... grrr... I did manage to find a local person with cool blue pearl shrimp though before all that went down. Thanks for the suggestion :)

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I found a local guy through aquabid... then it took over my computer with popups... and some looked really young. I had to run my various protection programs to get it all off my screen. None were any I would consider "hot" though. Oh well. It must have been one fo the individual ads I clicked on in Aquabid. I'm a bit scaed to go back there tho...

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I meant the pics in the individual auctions going on... That will teach me. I have the same problem on a reputable reptile classified site.

The shrimp are doing ok. One passed, but the other 2 that turned white are still kicking. I'm quite impressed. I hope they can recover. I won't be getting other shrimp for the time being until these guys either get better or pass on. I don't want to risk more expensive shrimp, and I really don't have an extra tank (my betta is in his old tank for quarentine while I treat his little gill-worm-thingy). I'm treating the ick in the tank with salt, melafix, and higher temps.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
you can always take a look at your lfs if they any local clubs in the area. I've got one called quad cities fish keepers. we get people driving 200+ miles to meet some of the people on there that have rare fish or exceptional quality fish. we have a few swap meets a year. I know my friend found a guy that gave him close to 100 guppies. just gave them away. so look for clubs and things like that in the area.