Anubias

Jan 26, 2013
Do you have algae eaters? If you do dont feed them and they will eventually attack the algae in an all out war!!!
Do you clean the tank regularly because no regular cleaning plus over feeding causes algae to grow which is bad
I am just saying my opinion dont know if it is correct.
To slow down algae growing dont use overhead light to much thats how they grow. But it is your decision do you want to cut it off or leave it?

Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
I do have an algae eater, a bushy nose. He eats away but doesn't seem to really touch the black hair. I do regular cleanings. I have tried to cut back in feelings but with fry in the tank I feed them 3 small meals a day. I have recently quit leaving the light on all day and in fact changed bulbs from a grow light to a reg light.

Jan 26, 2013
There may be another way
There is a plastic colander small that floats on water and holds food fish eat it i got one at home it works
Sucking catfish are bottom feeders and try not to go up and current allows food to get out of holes here and there

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I've read that Siamese Algae Eaters will eat black hair algae.

I know I get frustrated with the anubias in my 10g. It needs decent lighting to grow, but grows so slowly, algae forms on the leaves. A section of it that I put partly in the shade in my 55g does much better.

Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
See my 20 long doesn't really have a spot for shade lol. Thinking about trimming off the leaves that have algae. The leaves below those have none. I took everything out last weekend and soaked everything in peroxide. The black hair has turned slightly red so I don't know if it helped or not?

Feb 27, 2009
Red on black-beard algae is a sign its dying. Fish that eat plant matter can eat it.

The problem with cutting off the leaves that have it, is that it will just take hold on the lower leaves now that they are not shaded. Anubias are not the fastest of growers, but the algae indicates an imbalance in light, carbon, and other nutrients.

How long are your lights on per day? Does the tank get any direct or indirect sunlight? Does your ammonia and nitrite levels stay zero? What is your reading of nitrate before you do a water change?

Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
I have been turning the light on in the evenings, from about 5-9 roughly. It gets indirect sunlight from our French doors in the other side of the room. Not sure of readings. Haven't gotten the kit yet to test water

Feb 27, 2009
Only 4 hours of light daily then? Tropical plants do better with a consistant schedule of lighting closer to 10-12 hours. If you have that volcano of bubbles in there as your avatar shows, that will off-gas your dissolved CO2. If you can supplement with a liquid source of carbon (or remove the bubbler) and provide a more steady 'tropical' lighting period (timers are cheap), the plants should grow better and be able to outcompete the algae.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
Yea I was turning it on from 7 am till 9 or so at night. I figured that was to much and that's why the algae grew.

So the bubbler is a bad thing? That helps put oxygen in the water. Would the filter be enough for that? It's a penguin bio wheel. Not sure of exact size, can find out when I get home...

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
It is my understanding that bubbles put very little oxygen into the water. It is the movement of the water on the surface caused by the water splashing in from the filter that mostly oxygenates the water.

Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
Ahhh. I always thought you had to have a bubbler to help with oxygen. With the spillway from the filter being where it is... Guess I don't need the volcano! I will have to take it out and see if that helps any. Should I be putting the plant food in or is that just making things worse?

Feb 27, 2009
Black-beard algae is really just very dark red. As it dies, it becomes lighter. So first you will see red, then pinkish, then grey/white. Think of it as bleaching.

Red does not always mean dying. If so, I have tons of 'dying' plants.