Antique slate bottom tank repair?

RedRain5

Small Fish
Mar 20, 2006
I have a Metaframe slate bottom 5gal with a busted out side panel.unfortunatly the other side pannel was cracked while it was in storage. I am planning on having a new glass panels made for it but I need the sealant for slate bottom tanks it’s that black looking tar like sealant. I read that a sealent called Perfecto works well on slate bottom tanks But I'm not shure. any ideas on where to find the black sealant or a comparable alternative.?
If I can get this thing fixed I want to try and finde the hood that goes with it

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Is there any particular reason you want to try and fix this 5 gallon so badly? It sounds like its in pretty bad shape and a new one will probably cost a lot less than putting this one back together will...

RedRain5

Small Fish
Mar 20, 2006
I have had It in storage for years and I always wanted an old Metaframe slate bottom I needed something to occupy my time so I decided to try and fix it up. It’s sort of a stupid reason but its just something I feel like doing.
It will cost a bit but most of the slate bottoms I see for sale are outrageously priced because they are considered "vintage" or "antique" items and this one is very old. I can hardly ever find them in my area of Louisiana and the ones I do find are often very expensive or are in a state far beyond repair. I found someone to cut the glass for almost no expence so it's actualy less cost to repair it than to get another slate bottom.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Well that does make sense :) Sorry I'm not sure where to point you...maybe somewhere like ebay or a plumbing supply/hardware store would have what you're looking for? Check through some of the threads in the DIY forum, they might have some links to other resources.

RedRain5

Small Fish
Mar 20, 2006
Thanks but I don't think regular sealent works well on slate I don't think It adhears well Or atleast I read an article that said so. I may have to use the old sealent and "hot seal it" basicly melt the old sealent put in the glass then fill it with boiling water to set the seals. After that I may put a second seal on with that Perfecto stuff (If it realy works.) But if any one knows a brand of sealent comprable to the black tarry stuff they used in Metaframe tanks the info would be much apreciated.