another betta spawn

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
I had another pair of bettas spawn yesterday afternoon.  It is my blue and white marble male, to a red cambodian *the female that spawned last week to the crowntail, but infertile*  I had hoped to spawn this male to my melano geno female....but she wasnt interested, so I put this female in the night before, and the next day they had spawned.  This is this males first spawn...and I think they are infertile also.  He makes beautiful nests though.  His jar was always full of nice bubble nests.  When I put him in the spawning tank, within an hour he had the area under the foam cup full of bubbles.  I'd be happy if just one of these eggs hatched!!!

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
well, I've never had a fertile spawn....so I wouldnt realy know the difference.  Everyone has told me that if the eggs are white, chances are they are infertile.  And these are white also.  But Im going to wait and see what happens.  wish me luck!   ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I hope it turns out good this time. I hope they will breed for you. Fish breeding is exciting though only a couple of mine have ever had babies. Well good luck anyways. ;D

Infertlity in fish eggs can be caused by the water conditions, is your water slightly acidic?
I will contact a friend of mine who knows more and will get back to you. 8)It would seem that it is best to have the water on the acid side of neutral,this helps as the infusorians and bacteria that attack the eggs have a hard time surviving in acidic water.  8)

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
She's not melano, she just carries the gene.  Her brother was BEAUTIFUL!  Half moon also.  She always carried her vertical stripes with her when she was in the spawning tank....but she just wouldnt come out and play with them.   Im going to get her good and fattened up and try her again later. What do you condition your females with?

Oct 22, 2002
i use live foods. full grown brine shrimp, tublex worms black wormas aaaaand small chunks of earthworms. for a while i was also useing baby guppy's but then you have to remaove the male very fast or he will think the baby's are guppy's :)

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
well, Im glad you guys see it that way.  But I cant feed anymore of these little guys....I've promised them to a friend.....just hope she hurrys up and gets them.  They are occupying a 10 gallon tank that I could be setting up another pair of bettas in!  LOL