another annoying newbie question(s)

Oct 22, 2002
Ive been raising freshwater fish for many years and I now think Im ready to enter into saltwater, except it seems VERY daunting, any info pertaining would be greatly appreciated. I want to use a spare 29g tank for my first saltwater setup. Ive read over many FAQs on saltwater and it is very confusing. Exactly what equipment do I need powerhead, protien skimmer, ect. and what kind of fish would be good for a 29g?

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Yes, you are correct on the equipment part..........only that you will need live rock ;D

Good fish for 29 gal would be like clowns, damsels, an maybe some Pygmy angels would work here is a compatiblity chart i found at http://www.thepetstop.com/fish_shop/chart.html and a place to buy some of the things you will need such as protein skimmers, filter,heater,live rock,ect. ;D

HTH ;D

GOOD LUCK
Daniel ;D

Get a good book too.  You'll need to learn about things like specific gravity.  I can suggest a good skimmer for a tank that size... the CPR BakPak.  I had one, and it worked great.

You'll need some live rock/sand too.  Pretty expensive, 4 - 5 bucks a pound for the rock!  SW is expensive, and frustrating, but if you are patient (as I wasn't) you can have a BEAUTIFUL tank.

There's others here who could help you alot more than I can.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
For Reef setup
1.  Aragonite sand:  You can get this at home depot in certain states (mostly in the East) for $4 for a 50 lb bag.  Otherwise they usually cost 1$/lb here in the west.  You need to have a 6 inch layer of sand for it to be effective.  Being effective means for bacteria to grow.  If you have this much sand in your tank, you possibly won't need a filter at all unless you put a lot of fish.  I don't have a filter and my nitrates are 0 with the sand.  But you need to seed with live sand:  they sell this in a bag at the LFS or you can get some live sand from someone who owns a saltwater tank because the sand becomes live after awhile.  Live as in full of good beneficial bacteria.
2.  Get a skimmer.  The best one you can afford.  
3.  Get salt water.
4.  Get some live rock:  about 1lb per gallon.

You can cycle a tank without fish if you have enough rock.

For Fish only tank setup:
1.  Get sand (should be aragonite).  Crush coral and other sands may contain silica and can cause algae blooms.
2.  Skimmer
3.  Possibly a some live rock
4.  Saltwater.
5.  Filtration (canister or wet/dry).

You can cycle with some damsels or dead shrimp or do a fishless cycle if you have enough rocks.

The most hardy fish is by far the damsels.  They only cost a couple of bucks and they are equivalent to the goldfish of freshwater.  They are very common.