Another 3D sealer post

Abran

New Fish
Jul 15, 2013
Ive been surfing the web for weeks now and everybody has thier own opinion on how to finish a 3D foam/concrete background.

I would like some advice since my first attempt turned out bad,real bad.

Ive found that it is VERY difficult to coat a background with silicone caulking, or at least difficult to get all the nooks and cranny's

I found a product made by Home Armor called Flexible Sealer. Its an aresol spray that would be much easier to use, at least for what I made. Does anybody have any knowledge or expierence with this stuff? Toxic?

Or......

Is there a better option thansilicone?

or better way to spread the silicone?

Also......

I see epoxy floating around the 3D background communtiy a lot. What and where do I find the "best" brand and type?

Finally........

I'm a pond guy that has finally won the "you don't need an aquarium" war with the wife! To this day I don't know what I said to get permisson, but I'm going to run with it until she comes to her senses....

With that said, Ive surfed many forums, websites, chat rooms and so on, but this is the best forum that Ive come across. Thank you for all of your input, and I'm glad to be a member of such a great forum that will ensure many "You're on that fish site again!" conversations with my wife.*

*this post was meant for entertainment purposes only. No such war has taken place. No fish and or husbands were harmed by the asking of these questions

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Welcome Abran! This is a great site. A little slow in the summer, but they all are.

What size tank? I marvel at the creativity involved in some of the 3D backgrounds I've seen made. Some use silicone mixed with sand as "grout", but it's a nightmare to apply. I have a hard enough time working with a caulk-gun full of the stuff.. ugh... I'd be more inclined to use silicone and then imbed it with sand right after laying down the bead.

Hopefully exhumed can chime-in. He's a well-versed brick knocker.