Angelfish And Gouramis

Dec 15, 2012
i got a 60 gallon fish tank that came with a gourami and i just recently bought a angelfish for the tank (yesterday) and they look like they are getting alone good and i know some people have good luck with gouramis and angelfish but is there any way to tell if they are being mean to each other?

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Just keep an eye on the angel. The gourami will likely be the aggressor. If the angel's fins look healthy then your fine. Plus sixty gallons is plenty of space for the two of them. Good Luck.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Angel fish are strange that way. One time my wife and I went to the fish store to buy a new angel. We looked in the tank that had about 2 dozen off them and ALL of them were completely still facing the same direction, like they were praying or something. She was so creeped out by it that we bought a different fish instead. They are just very docile and awkward fish. And there subtleties are more noticable because of there prominent fins. You should buy a testing kit to test the water. Signs of stress are pretty clear. Nipped fins, no appetite, fungus growth (small white fuzzies on there bodies). You'll figure it all, its a fun hobby. People on this site are very helpful too, don't be afraid to ask them anything.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
You must do water changes. That would be like not changing the oil on your car. It is a necessary practice of the hobby. Research nitrogen cycle. I have two 70 gals and I do 30% changes every weekend on both. To make it easier I purchased a 25 foot hose to cyphon the water literally out the front door(its great for flower beds) then I hook it up to my kitchen faucet to refill. Don't forget to dechlorinate.

Every time you suspect a problem with your fish I garantee the first thing anyone who knows anything on this forum will tell you is to do a water change. I know because when I started keeping fish I recieved alot of help from here.

Right away I would purchase a cyphoning hose, water testing kit, dechlorinator and read up on tank cycles - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, beneficial bacteria. You'll figure it all out. Good luck!

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Gravity and suction, known as cyphining. One end goes in the tank, the other must be below the elevation of the fish tank. So if your upstairs, a window would work. In a basement, find a drain. Then for lack of a better description you inhale on the end. Just enough for gravity to grab the water. Then the cyphoning process will pull the rest of the water out until you stop it. They do make pumps to do that part for you but I have only seen them on 5 foot hoses.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
You must do water changes. That would be like not changing the oil on your car. It is a necessary practice of the hobby. Research nitrogen cycle. I have two 70 gals and I do 30% changes every weekend on both. To make it easier I purchased a 25 foot hose to cyphon the water literally out the front door(its great for flower beds) then I hook it up to my kitchen faucet to refill. Don't forget to dechlorinate.

Every time you suspect a problem with your fish I garantee the first thing anyone who knows anything on this forum will tell you is to do a water change. I know because when I started keeping fish I recieved alot of help from here.

Right away I would purchase a cyphoning hose, water testing kit, dechlorinator and read up on tank cycles - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, beneficial bacteria. You'll figure it all out. Good luck!
Great explanation. Water quality is essential to maintaining a healthy tank. Not changing means that the ammonia levels in your tank will spike.
High levels of ammonia can comprise the immune system of your fish and kill them. You don't have to do huge water changes....10-20% a week should be enough.
For 60 gallons that means your only changing about 6 gallons a week. I have several 3 gallon buckets that I use to change my water and it doesn't take long to change both of my tanks.

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
Gravity and suction, known as cyphining. One end goes in the tank, the other must be below the elevation of the fish tank. So if your upstairs, a window would work. In a basement, find a drain. Then for lack of a better description you inhale on the end. Just enough for gravity to grab the water. Then the cyphoning process will pull the rest of the water out until you stop it. They do make pumps to do that part for you but I have only seen them on 5 foot hoses.
I have a small gravel 'vacuum' tube, and that's how mine works, but I wasn't sure it would work with a hose! :p

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Not doing water changes means you will be almost guaranteed to lose that angel in time. Regular water changes are a necessary part of fishkeeping, no way around it, unless you have a ton of plants and very few fish - even then, water changes are required occasionally. Without water changes, you get a build-up of nitrates, which at higher levels are toxic. I have a 46 gallon and it takes me approximately 25 minutes to do a water change, just with buckets and a siphon.