Anemone Care, Can I have one?

Nov 8, 2009
Michigan
What are the signs of overfeeding?

I have had my condi anemone for 2 weeks. My water testing is all right where it is supposed to be. He settled in at the side and then when I added more rock he moved to the middle and seemed content. I have been feeding every other day like the told me at the store. Each morning when I go down I am losing a fish. So far since I brought him home, I have lost 4 fish. I have not lost a fish in 6 months before bringing him home so I am thinking he is the culprit.
My tank is fairly small. It is a 47 gallon bowfront. I have a skimmer and powerhead in addition to the movement my filtration unit puts in the tank. I have compact high intensity lighting on timers that include lunar lighting.

This evening i went to check on them, and he looks like he is floating around. He is all plumped out and not stringy looking so I am confused. He refused to eat but I found half of my blenny so i am thinking he already helped himself.

How often do you feed these guys? My tank is a year old and established. I switched to saltwater a year ago. I have always had freshwater tanks for the past 30 years and really wanted to go salt. I want to add corals soon but started with the anemone. Any advice would be appreciated.

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
I have what I believe may be a tube anemone. He was a hitch hiker that was stuck on a piece of rock we got here locally in GA. I have just normal lights but I'm looking to get better lights for it and to introduce some simple plant life into the tank. I feed him krill once a week or so and he seems to do fine. He moved from the rock he was intially on to another one on the side of the tank I drop food into. My friend set my tank up for me and I know a little but any suggestions or tips as I am very new to salt water tanks and I want to make sure the little guy stays healthy.

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
Thank you Lorna for your reply to this and the previous post. As I'm sure I don't need to say I'm learning from "scratch" so to speak so it can be a challenge. I just don't want to threaten life that is a native to this area, etc. It seems to be just fine but I'd like the little guy to stay that way. This isn't the greatest pic, I'll try to upload another soon.

Attachments

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Looks too small to be a tube anemone to me. Kind of looks like aptasia but its hard to tell by the picture. How big is it? Is it attached to the rock? If it's aptasia you definately want to get rid of it fast.

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
It attached to my rock. It was stuck on one piece and then moved to another end of my tank. It's like a white or clear color. I'm about to read up on it, but I'm assuming it's a bad thing if it's aptasia? Btw I got a book tonight and salt, supplies to plan for my first water change. *thumbsups I have a ton of supplies I got off of ebay I assume from a guy that got rid of his tank. I'm going through that with my friend this weekend it has a ton of equipment in it. Thanks again guys! :)

I have a frog spawn anemone that my clown fish completely ignores Then about 2 months later I got a large elegance anemone and the clown fish ( nemo type ) ignored that for at least a month Then all the sudden it fell in love and seemed to love every second of the sensations it gave it and never left it Due to a spike in nitrate that I caught TO LATE the elegance died and I got it out of there immediately and now the clown is lonely again completely ignoring the frog spawn anemone Anyone know why?

Jul 21, 2011
Michigan
I have a flower anemone,when first got it, it did move to its choice of spots,started looking sick and grey, started feeding it sm.rosies, about 2 a wk, boys was it happy,and is doing great now.(20gal) working on 55 gal.