and advise?

fairladyZ

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2003
Singapore
recently my goldfish & ranchu seem to be having a white frays of stuff on it tail... making it like fin rot

but i not too sure it fin rot or funges cos ranchu have it on the head. I happen to have this kind of case b4 when my water seem to be too hot for them...

now the themo reads as 80 but when i cool it down to 78 or so, they dun really swim around and sank to the bottom... at 80 they will swim... i getting abit confused & out of my wits... :(

any advise? wat the temp best for the goldfish?:confused:

fairladyZ

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2003
Singapore
hrmm mine is all the tail and make it look like fin rot cos it torn off and stuff.. ya i cant make the temp go below 80 so now i put all my fish in another tank and keep using cold water & ice to lower down the temp first. wait till all is stable then i transfer the fishes back.

now i stuck whether should i get fungus medicine or fin rot :(

lizwinz

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Racine, WI
goldfish can take temps up to 86degrees...constantly flucuating temp (this can lead to stress and illness)
is worse for them than letting them get used to a higher temp

here's an article from a site that has really good info on goldies:

http://www.goldfishparadise.com/water/temperature.php

"Goldfish are commonly classified as "coldwater" fish. This can be an often misleading term, as ideal aquarium temperature for goldfish is actually between 70-75oF (21-24oC). Goldfish are classified as coldwater fish, because unlike tropicals, they can withstand cooler temperatures. Goldfish can tolerate temperatures ranging from 32-86oF (0-30oC)."

i'd start leaving the temp alone and add some freshwater aquarium salt (1tbs per 5 gal) and some melafix and see how they do

add the salt slowly so you dont stress them...and pre-dissolve it in a cup of tank water so they dont try to eat it;)

have you tested your water? if so what are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrAte?

good luck with your goldies and let us know how they do

--liz:)

Last edited: