An introduction to Discus: Part I

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
i have three discus. can anyone tell me why one of them is so timid and just hides away in the corner all day every day when the others, even the newest bought one is perfectly happy to be swimming around the tank. Would you suggest getting anothr one perhaps?
Well, I'm not a Discus expert by any means, but a couple things come to mind.

First, some discus for whatever reason just tend to be more timid.

Second, it could be you've got a bullying problem, either by one of the other Discus, or another tankmate (assuming there are other fish besides discus). Some night when your bored, sneak out after "lights out" and see whats going on in there, you may find the problem that way.

shorty

Medium Fish
Mar 18, 2003
wales, uk
Visit site
yes, it looks like the biggest discus is bullying the timid one... any ideas why he would be picking only on this discus rather than the other one? The other one is smaller and is a newer addition to the tank

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
yes, it looks like the biggest discus is bullying the timid one... any ideas why he would be picking only on this discus rather than the other one? The other one is smaller and is a newer addition to the tank
Well as I said I'm not a Discus pro, but I have watched various species and one thing seems to be true throughout, fish bully other fish for reasons that only THAT fish knows :p

But is it possible you've got 2 males competing for 1 female? Even if the more timid fish backs down, the "Dominant Male" (assuming he is a he) may not want the other male in the tank. Just a thought?

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
Try adding another discus, helps spread the aggression. I started out with one discus, then added another. They would fight like crazy, then i added another one and I havent seen them fight since.

Jan 30, 2008
Melbourne
Hi all, Just introducing ourselves. We too LOVE Discus. We have 8 discus in a 4ft tank, a few neons, 2 pearl laces, 1 molly, 2 balloon rams and a few tetras.. We recently changed from a 3ft tank, which may i add was a nerve racking experience.. They are all now eating and seem well! Although they are hiding more than we would like.

My advice with bullys is to take out the bully for a night and rearrange the tank a little.. Then when you put bully back in he will feel like the newcomer.. We did this few months ago and it worked a treat!
However, Discus like to mark their territory so you will most always get one or two on a power trip!

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I am not housing discus nor will I be any time soon at all, but I was still wondering if you really need to keep your trates at 0... like in a planted tank your plants would never have enough nitrogen to grow with...

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
I am not housing discus nor will I be any time soon at all, but I was still wondering if you really need to keep your trates at 0... like in a planted tank your plants would never have enough nitrogen to grow with...
for Juveniles yes, adults no. Thats why people recommend only adults should go in plated tanks. Juvi's should be barebottom.

Juvi's need exceptionally clean water to grow or else they will be stunted.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2009
Nice post. Cant wait to start raising Discus again.
I did so in a 55G community tank without issues, doing 40% H2O chgs weekly. I over filtered using under gravel fed into a Fluval canister and two hanging filters.
I also used large natural rocks, plants and gravel.
It is quite rewarding to raise Discus.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Discus truly are in my view, Kings of the aquarium. Kept them for nearly two years with the help of folks from a forum dedicated to these fish. The water changes needed for the health of these fish from juveniles to adult.,,and the limited tankmates due to temps required,, demands a level of dedication that some find troubling. But they are not that hard to care for if their needs are met.