amazon sword

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I got 1 amazon sword in ym 55 and it is doing great, all the original leaves melted as expected, and regrew more than double at this point. thing is i have noticed the new leaves look very different. the original leaves were more round and brighter in color then the new leaves. the new leaves are alot thinner and longer and alot darker in color. it's still a beautiful plant but was wondering if anyone knows what may have caused this?

Any pictures of the change? Also curious what's your kh level?

Swords are iron crazy, they love an iron rich substrate (fert tabs seem to work better than liquid for them). If you have enough iron and you don't have them completely buried in the substrate (you can see a bit where the roots start growing, I noticed they tend to fare better not being completed buried/planted) I can't imagine that they're not doing too well.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
dirted substrate with red clay. plenty of iron, i got medium to hard water so fairly high kh but have never tested it. and not totally buried in the substrate. the plant itself is doing great. just the leaves are really narrow compaired to the leaves that came with it. i don't currently have any pics of what it looked like new and it's behind my bacopa, jungle val, and crypts as well as a piece of driftwood with christmas moss on it. hard to get a decent pic but i will try.