Amazon Sword babies...

Oct 22, 2002
I have a amazon sword and it had itself 4 baby amazons. They are all conected to the runner. When sould I cut them down? Their leaves range from 1-2in
The have roots and everything. I dont know if the runner will cut them of or will it plant them??

D

discusaquarium

well put cloth, thats exactly what i did when mine had "babies"

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I too usually bury the runner and cut it after they root.

If the swords runner is growing up toward the light, I usually let the baby plant get 4 or 5 nice leaves before cutting. When they grow up they will also start to show roots looking for the substrate...another good time to cut.

I have 3 types of Amazon Swords...none in which are they same plant yet all were sold as an Amazon sword. Which do you have?

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Not the same.

Your Hydro will have side shoots and just have many stems come off. You can cut your hydro anywhere and it will start up again.

The swords have a stem/shoot that comes off them. It runs out..or up...and little "baby" plants appear on it. These need to be kept on the runner until they can survive on their own. Kinda like a baby.
8)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Okay I see now. When I went to buy them they didn't have any roots yet and then a week later I came back and they had huge root systems and she would sell them then. She just added some plant food to the tank she said and the roots started to grow. I love those plants. ;D