Alternative Supplies

R

ronrca

Does anyone have any suggestion as to alternative supplies or whatever that is cheaper. I found one by accident. pH down get get expensive. A little bottle of pH down costs me around $10. I went to a pool/spa/hot tub company and they also had pH down for $7 for 950mg where 10mg treats 1000L. Of course I made sure that the pH down did not have any additives or fillers. I would like to hear of others possibly. I have more suggestions also.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Why do you use Ph down anyway?
What is your PH?
Cloth might know this one..he uses Rabbit poo in place of root tabs  ;)and Had something on pond fertilizer instead of a product like leaf zone.  

Hydrochloric acid will lower the Ph but be careful,
mix in seperate container and then introduce to system very slowly, changing the Ph too quick will cause Ph shock and burn the fish.
Dried rabbit poo instead of root tabs, and pond plant fertiliser as it is a lot cheaper than aquarium fert,you can also use pond Dechlorinator, yet again cheaper and does the same job. 8)

R

ronrca

Cool! My pH rises above 7.6 if unattended. I need to get a pH kit that reads higher than 7.6 to be sure. I know SeaChem has a dechlor. that is really good and cheap. Costs me $8 first time, treats 1000G and my lfs refills it for $5.

You have to shop around for filter media. Since I have a Filstar XP-3, media can get expensive but I buy bulk and its a lot cheaper. Example, filter floss or fine foam, I buy the huge bags that I have to cut to size. Bulk chemicals you can use nylon bags, pantyhose etc. Many things can be bought in Walmart/Home Depot or similar places.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I Buy huge rolls of 3/4 inch thick cotten for mattress or quilt padding/lining. I just cut what I need for my whispers, magnums, and for my sump in my other 30 gallon. I got this at wal-mart.

My lighting for my 55 gallon is a single strip from a fish store, followed by a $10 dual strip light from Home depot.

My Sump is a wet dry sump made out of a trashcan.

My Co2 is DIY from sugar yeast and heated water in a 2 liter bottle.

My rocks in my one tank are local and are free.

Flo light bulbs are $6 at home depot instead of $18 to $20 from a pet store.

You can use household plant "Jobes" to fertilize your substrate.

all I can think of.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
oh..btw..what are the rocks in the pics of your tank?

Some items such as a rock , can be tested with white vinegar to see if they will effect water conditions. If it fizzes orbubbles you shouldn't use it.

What is the PH of your Tap water?