alligator gars

GarMan

New Fish
Mar 11, 2005
new york
I have 10inch alligator gar that jumped out of its 55 gal tank last night I dont know how long he was out of the tank but he was very dried out anyway I PUT HIM BACK IN AND HE CAME BACK TO LIFE UNREAL!! ANYWAY MY QUESTION is why did he jump out does anybody have any info on why a gar would do this?and he is still trying to jump out and is not eating Thanks

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
He is probably stressed from jumping out, thats why hes not eating. The reason he is jumping out is because the tank is TOO small. You know these things get huge in the wild?

GarMan

New Fish
Mar 11, 2005
new york
YEA thats what I thought stress Iam going to upgrade to a 125gal very soon and yes I know they get huge but they are just a awsome fish I mean he was totally dried out and he came back !!itwas really something. Thanks for writing l

GarMan

New Fish
Mar 11, 2005
new york
I know they get big but I was told by a really good source they will not get bigger than 15 inchs in a tank. how many do you see that are 200lbs in a tank the source a marine bio. Thanks for Writing

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Umm...although they may not reach 200lbs they do get big. In the aquarium yours will probably become stunted and die prematurally. I personally have seen plenty of big gars in public aquariums.

GarMan

New Fish
Mar 11, 2005
new york
I know what you are saying I hear you but let me tell you I will keep going bigger and bigger as far as tank size goes . I know how big gars get back in 1977 I went fishing with my grandfather in the Florida everglades and watched him catch gars they were everywhere one even bite him on the arm when he pulled it out of the water it was quite a site Thanks for writing Reef

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
I personaly am a really big fan of gars, especially those red striped ones (I can't think of their names right now.) and alligator gars. As long as you have an enormus tank they make great pets. Think you could post a picture of him! *SUPERSMIL

GarMan

New Fish
Mar 11, 2005
new york
I will try to post a pic soon. me and my nephew have one each.mine is getting very very large in my opinion there is nothing meaner and tougher than the alligator gar however he is getting huge so I am trying to make up my mind on which size tank to buy.I also have a small racing gar very small about3 inches long not sure what the real name is.Thanks for writing sandtiger

mytell

New Fish
Feb 28, 2017
I'm from Louisiana we catch gar right of the dock of our camp. I'm setting up 75 gallon tank. I would love for it to look natural and native. Any advice. I have 2 great pieces of driftwood. I scrubbed and boiled both end. I would love advice on sinking it and how to set it up.