algae

TheRed

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
There is algae on my plants and my algae eaters can't seem to stay ahead of it. I have one pleco and 2 siamese algae eaters. Does any one have any suggestions what i could do to get rid of it.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
if it's brown. it's diatomic (spelling?) algae. caused by lack of light. usually ottocats are the best way to go. either increase the amount of light or get more algae-eaters.ottocats are a good bet since they're small.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
What size tank are we talking about.

What is your lighting schedule?

What fertilizer/plant food do you use and how much?

What are your nitrates?

What other fish are in the tank?

What do you feed the pleco? DOes he eat with the other fish? DO the SAE eat with the other fish?

TheRed

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have a 55 gal tank. There are 2 watts of light per gallon that are on 12 hours a day. I have an oscar, jewel cichlid, texas cichlid, 6 tiger barb, 2 bala sharks, a pleco and 2 SAE. I don't use any fertilizers and unfortunately don't have nitrate/nitrite test kit yet.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
First , In my opinion, your Oscar will eat those barbs and SAE. If he dont the texas might.

How long has the tank been up?

What is your maintenance schedule? 25% water change every week?

You should with the pooper plecoes, and the messy Oscar get a Nitrate test.

Your Algae could be from too high of Nitrates in the water. Sometimes the algae can develop from Phosphates in your tap water as well. If the algae is the black short hair kind, then this would be what it is comming from.(Nitrates or/and phosphates)

Make sure you keep you weekly water changes up, Vaccum the gravel real good (Are these real plants??)If your nitrates are high, you will have to do a few extra water changes at first to get them down.

I feel the mix of fish is not what you want(in the long run) as well, but that is up to you.

Dont get Otto cats with those types of Cichlids.

Your SAE(you positive they are true SAE?)probebly enjoy eatting the other food more , that your pleco and others leave behind.(that is just a guess)

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
Is there a nice and easy way to get the algae off?  I'll take rocks out of my tank and scrub them with my fish tank brush and I still can't get all of it to come off.  Even on my powerheads it is a pain.  Scratching it with my fingernails doesn't work.   :-[

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
Get some of those common brown snails.   They do wonders for my 40 and 38 gallons, as well as my 10 gallon tanks.  They can multiply quickly if you dont keep them in check.  You can smoosh the eggs when you see them on the glass.  I keep a clown loach in my 38 gallon guppy tank.  he keeps the snails in check for me.  THey will eat the small snails, and leave the larger ones to clean your tank for you.   Its a good thing!

Oct 22, 2002
Snails I think are the best way to get rid of algae but i had that problem with them overrunning my tank so i got a chemical called snail-out it works wonders. And stupid dead snails plug filter inlets >:( >:(