Algae Bloom?

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
An algae bloom is a bloom of algae usually a specific kind but isn't limited to one kind. A green water algae bloom, is just that, green water and it happens very quickly. I have actually had a beard algae bloom in the tank where the day before I didn't see any and when I returned from work I could see it beginning to spread to almost all my plants around the tank. Most new planted tanks and even unplanted tanks will usually go through an algae phase or two as the tank tries to balance itself out. High phosphates and high nitrates are usually culprits to algae bloom but over fertilization of micro and macronutrients can also lead to an algae outbreak.

Algae is normal to have in the aquarium and as long as it is not smoothering your plants or so horrible to look at you can't stand it algae isn't really all that bad (as long as it is not blue/green algae which is actually bacteria). Some advanced aquarist feel certain kinds of algae are a sign of good water quality. Algae is also an important source of food for many fish so complete elimination isn't really a good thing. The idea is to keep algae in check. You can find hundreds of different methods for this. Depending on the type and amount of algae different methods are applicable. Algae can often be used as decorative purpose. A few notes to remember about algae.

1.) Amano the great aquascaper once said that algae will always be present in your tank and will appear once conditions are favorable.

2.) More light usually means more fertilization and more co2. With the increase in these elements you increase your chances for severe algae problems. Lotus and TurbineSurgeon talked me out of upgrading my lights to 4 watts per gallon. Thank goodness they did. It takes knowledge, expierence and a green thumb (wet thumb) to maintain proper nutrient levels at high light levels. Many plants and algae can grow at just 2 watts per gallon so start slow. Learn the art of planted tanks before jumping into difficult high light plants.

3.) Algae eating fish and shrimp are good at keeping algae at bay but not cleaning up a bad algae attack. So if you are keeping live plants and have over 2 watts per gallon (or even under) algae eating fish should often be the first fish introduced into the planted tank. Also most plecos don't eat large amounts of algae (I think the bristlenose might) so don't expect one pleco to keep algae at bay. American-flag fish and SAE have been the best at the different kinds of algae in my tank. The otos are good at the soft green algae that forms. I have seen people recommend 1 algae eater per 5 gallons of water some say 1 to to gallons. The more the better I feel, as long as you don't overstock the tank.

4.) Never use chemicals to get rid of algae. There is a reason why the algae has gotten bad figure out why. Usually high phosphates, nitrates, too much ferts, or an over all inbalance of the tank.

I have had algae problems in my tank ever since I started using live plants. I still haven't figured proper ferts ect. It takes time. But I learn something new everyday. So these are just some of my thoughts and ideas I have learned over the past few months into planted tanks and algae. Probably more than you were looking for but I was bored!!!!

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the principle behind the bloom is the same in fw and sw

as far as how long it will last, it will last until its nutrient source is exhausted/removed...getting rid of it means getting rid of the nutrient source. as far as when, i suppose it will happen when you have a nutrient buildup (phosphates, silicas, nitrates, etc) and some light

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
thanks guys my tank has been cycling fo ra week now with temp at 77 F my ph is steady at 8 and my nitrites are at o ppm...are these good readings? or bad? when can i start adding fish and shrimp my plan is too add either two Clown fish(finding LAMO) and two shrimp or one clown fish one other small fish and two shrimp.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Do you have live rock? If so was it cured? Without this its hard to say...What was your ammonia reading, and nitrate? and Salinity?

Besides this everything else seems fine. Depending how big the tank is you could have clownfish and shrimp. I would add the clowns first and shrimp last because inverts need an aged system.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Its good you are using live rock...should be nearing time for some fish. I strongly recommend a test kit...saves a lot of questions and deaths.