Algae.... Algae everywhere!

Nano-joe

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2016
Hey guys, experiencing some more algae growth than normal.

So I wanted to ask, what do you do for your algae? Normal scrubbing? Do you take a algacide approach? Or rely on your snails?

Let me know what you think is the best way!

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I just wipe the inside of the glass. A big algae problem typically means you have to reduce the amount of time you have your lighting on. On my tanks with plants (freshwater though..), I don't keep my lights on more than 6-8hrs/day.

Nano-joe

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2016
I just wipe the inside of the glass. A big algae problem typically means you have to reduce the amount of time you have your lighting on. On my tanks with plants (freshwater though..), I don't keep my lights on more than 6-8hrs/day.
Nice. I have a freshwater planted myself.
The nano saltwater has a current orbit marine pro light on it. (Highly recommend) it's on a timer for 10 hour cycle with 4 hour moonlight. Every 3 days I'm scrubbing. I'm going to start more algae fix for a slower growth. I don't mind scrubbing gives me a more hands on with my tank. Im just exploring what other aquarist do! Thanks!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
How new is the tank? If it's new (under 6 months), most SW tanks go through several algae cycles and most will just recede as the tank sorts itself out.

Are you using RODI water?

In my personal experience, I have found that algae on the sand bed resolves itself over time. Both cyano (usually maroon, always slimy and loosely attached - and not an algae but actually bacteria) as well as actual algae did a bloom on new sand, and then receded.

I had a heck of a time with cyano when I took my well-used but also abused LR, and upgraded tanks to include reef strength lighting - had it wicked bad for about 3 months, and then it just all petered out and then there was no trace of it. I think my LR was leaching all sorts of junk back out and feeding that lovely mess.

I usually hand-pick anything that is removable. And scrape the glass as needed. But a little algae is normal so I don't get all distraught about seeing it in my tank.

I haven't ever put any chemical in to treat algae in my reef tank. The only thing I've ever treated the whole tank with is a dewormer at one point. Make sure to be very confident in any chemical you put in a reef tank, especially a nano reef tank. Things can go bad very quickly in a small water volume. And inverts are a whole lot more sensitive to many chemicals than fish. Chemicals can also be absorbed into your LR / sand.