Algae.... Algae everywhere!

Nano-joe

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2016
12
0
1
#1
Hey guys, experiencing some more algae growth than normal.

So I wanted to ask, what do you do for your algae? Normal scrubbing? Do you take a algacide approach? Or rely on your snails?

Let me know what you think is the best way!
 

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
1,337
23
38
East Aurora, NY
#2
I just wipe the inside of the glass. A big algae problem typically means you have to reduce the amount of time you have your lighting on. On my tanks with plants (freshwater though..), I don't keep my lights on more than 6-8hrs/day.
 

Nano-joe

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2016
12
0
1
#3
I just wipe the inside of the glass. A big algae problem typically means you have to reduce the amount of time you have your lighting on. On my tanks with plants (freshwater though..), I don't keep my lights on more than 6-8hrs/day.
Nice. I have a freshwater planted myself.
The nano saltwater has a current orbit marine pro light on it. (Highly recommend) it's on a timer for 10 hour cycle with 4 hour moonlight. Every 3 days I'm scrubbing. I'm going to start more algae fix for a slower growth. I don't mind scrubbing gives me a more hands on with my tank. Im just exploring what other aquarist do! Thanks!
 

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
3,682
33
48
36
Cape Cod
#5
How new is the tank? If it's new (under 6 months), most SW tanks go through several algae cycles and most will just recede as the tank sorts itself out.

Are you using RODI water?

In my personal experience, I have found that algae on the sand bed resolves itself over time. Both cyano (usually maroon, always slimy and loosely attached - and not an algae but actually bacteria) as well as actual algae did a bloom on new sand, and then receded.

I had a heck of a time with cyano when I took my well-used but also abused LR, and upgraded tanks to include reef strength lighting - had it wicked bad for about 3 months, and then it just all petered out and then there was no trace of it. I think my LR was leaching all sorts of junk back out and feeding that lovely mess.

I usually hand-pick anything that is removable. And scrape the glass as needed. But a little algae is normal so I don't get all distraught about seeing it in my tank.

I haven't ever put any chemical in to treat algae in my reef tank. The only thing I've ever treated the whole tank with is a dewormer at one point. Make sure to be very confident in any chemical you put in a reef tank, especially a nano reef tank. Things can go bad very quickly in a small water volume. And inverts are a whole lot more sensitive to many chemicals than fish. Chemicals can also be absorbed into your LR / sand.