Albino Tiger Barbs??

Flex26

Large Fish
Apr 21, 2003
Delaware County, PA
Visit site
I recently came across some albino tiger barbs at the lfs. They were about a half inch and a pale yellow/orange. The g/f thought they were cute so it looks like I'll probably be getting abino tiger barbs. Anyway, does anyone know anything about these barbs?

1. How big do they get?
2. What is their temperment?
3. Are they like normal tiger barbs?
4. What should the water parameters be for this fish?
5. What should I feed them?

Just wanted to do my homework before I ran out and bought them. ;)

I've also seen albino tiger barbs at the LPS. They look exactly like regular TB's, except the orange areas are peach, and the stripes are white. They were in a tank with regular TB's, and had the same size and shape.

If the albino TB's you saw had different body shapes, or different colour patterns, be very suspicious.

Either way, barbs are pretty easy to care for, and if your g/f likes them and the price is reasonable, why not give it a shot? They'll eat what you feed them, and they'll probably play rough with the smaller fish.

good luck

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Tiger Barbs of any variety (wildtype, green, red, albino etc) are nippy to tankmates unless in very large schools (8+ members). I do not recommend them unless you have a tank large enough to house the appropriate number, or else your g/f will not think them so cute when they destroy the fins of her other favorite fish.

The water requirements are the same as regular tiger barbs. I would dim the lighting though. Albino animals of any species are especially light sensitive.

~~Colesea

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
Most probably. Fish tend to pick on those smaller than themselves (except my confuesed rosy barb, who think's he's a betta, methinks).

I've had albino tigers, and I always thought these fish were really neat. No different from the regular tigers, really. I usually keep a small group of tigers with a few cories, and they're perfect citizens in my tank, but I suppose it'd be different if other non-cats were introduced.

However if the fish at the store are not physically similar to regular tiger barbs, the store people probably got confused.