Airation(sp)

jts112278

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Not sure how you spell it but i do have a question about it. Ronca since you seem to be the discus guru on the board what do you recommend as far as airation for a 55 gal discus tank? Everyone is welcome to recommend as well. Thanks the tank is getting closer!

R

ronrca

Well! Thanks for the compliment but Im not even close to a "discus guru" just passing on information that I read somewhere.

"airation for a 55 gal discus tank"
Well, that will depend on a number of things like fishload, real plants, filter, etc. Right now in my 90G, I did not have any airstones whatsoever. My setup is a canister filter and no surface movement, C02 injection. Thats pretty much it. Like I said before, no surface movement at all because of the C02 injection. My fishload consists of 5 discus, 1 ram, 11 cardinals, 5 rasboras, 1 honey gourami, 2 otos, 1 sae and millions of snails  *crazysmiley* In my opinion, try without and see for yourself. In my experience, airstones are hardly neccessary in a planted tank and besides, aeration just causes surface movement that dissapates C02. The plants surely provide the neccessary O2 requirements.

However, in the non planted tank, I have some surface movement usually from the filter output itself. What Im getting at is that you dont need some fancy aeration system, just your filter output.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.  *thumbsupsmiley*

jts112278

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Great thanks. I think my DIY spray bars should do the trick anyway. As far as fish load im thinking five discus (praying i will end up with a pair) maybe some neons or cardnials. Don't think i will end up using plants (i have a brown thumb like you wouldn't beleive). Just got back from my lunch break where i picked up some clear ammonia. Let the cycling begin!!!

Even though I"m growing my discus out in planted tanks, the consensus of opinions of the TRUE discus nuts is to grow them in bare bottomed tanks, and shift them to planted/gravel tanks when full grown.

This is to make the daily 50% waterchanges easier as they also reccomend 6-8 feedings a day for optimim growth. Siphon out any uneaten food 15 mins after feeding.....yeah....lots of work.....but it makes sense, even though I"m not doing it.

As for aeration, the filter outlow should be sufficient.